Do we have a torque wrench?

I would like to use a torque wrench but I don’t really want to buy one. It’s not expensive - $21 - so not a big deal. I want to measure how much torque is needed to open a jar for reliable testing and metrics. Does ASMBLY have one with a visual scale that looks like this? Does ASMBLY have a need for one?

We do have some of various scales. Any idea of probable ft/lbs? Accessible to stewards only, so you will need to make arrangements to make sure someone is there.

Thank you @Snestle. As to scale, we’re talking about a jar of pecan honey nut butter!

We’re talkin’ sticky.

I don’t know if there’s vacuum as well as just sticky but I would doubt more than 30 foot pounds. But I’ll need to fabricate a lid holder with a square hole to insert the square drive. I can print that I think and use that strap[ material to “seal the deal”. But to test different jar openers, I’ll need to create a scale of some sort that determines a “legitimate” reference for different containers and I can’t necessarily go through a case of nut butter without throwing a party of some sort that’s likely to get me in trouble.

The person who gave me this jar said she couldn’t open it with her jar opener, so this is a test—it’s only a test. But in the tradition of science, the experiment should/could be performed by anyone and produce the same result.

Your guess is as good as mine. One step at a time. But now I know the protocol.

Gratitude!

And hey, this revised website is great!!! Kudos to all who worked on it!

There’s one like that in the pile of tools that need to be sorted out and assigned locations that is in the MS annex. I can get it for you if I am there. We also have a few of the more typical, set-point type in various places. I think the welding tool chest has one.

@mgmoore thank you. First things first is the jig to hold the lid

1 Like

Just a warning: I’m not certain that a 3d printed part will withstand 30 foot pounds of torque localized to a square hole.

You may want to do a little research on filament types and infill strength to see if it’s possible, or consider designing it to hold something metal that has a larger surface area

I wanted to get an idea of if there were any industry standards regarding the effort to open a jar. There are. Sort of - Google AI:
The force required to open a jar can vary, but some studies suggest that the nominal range of opening torque for jars is 2.9–5.5 Nm:

• 2002 study Voorbij and Steenbekkers studied 750 Dutch participants over 50 years old and recommended a torque of 2 Nm for opening a jar with a 66 mm diameter lid. They also found that the highest twisting force recorded was 16.3 Nm, while the lowest was 0.7 Nm.

• British study Another study of 1,142 British participants aged 8–95 years old, using lids with diameters of 55 mm, 75 mm, and 85 mm, recommended a torque limit of 1 Nm.
    “How would you relate 4 newton meters of force to a layperson for comparison”

Here are a few comparisons:

1. Turning a Doorknob: Turning a standard doorknob requires about 1 to 2 Nm of torque, so 4 Nm would be roughly equivalent to the effort needed to turn a doorknob twice as hard.
  2. Twisting a Jar Lid: Opening a tight jar lid typically requires about 3 to 5 Nm of torque. So, 4 Nm is within the range of the effort needed to twist open a stubborn jar lid.
  3. Using a Wrench: If you’ve ever used a small wrench to tighten a bolt, applying 4 Nm of force would feel like moderately tightening a small bolt with a standard wrench.
  4. Twisting a Screwdriver: When using a regular screwdriver to screw into wood, applying 4 Nm of force would be like firmly tightening the screw until it is securely fastened.

@mgmoore It looks like I’ll need the lower-scale torque wrench to do my analysis. They usually have the 1/4" drive on those.

Is that in the ASMBLY tool kit, or should I buy one?

You want an oil filter socket wrench adapter. Have a self closing one for the atlas copco

I got this. I went to my mechanic and his small one wasn’t working. The next size up started at 5 Newton/meters. It was a bust.

I’m getting one from Amazon today that costs less than the price of gas to ASMBLY, so I’m good. Thanks, people.

1 Like