Do we have a regular printer?

I know we have the sublimation printer, but i want to try doing lino cutting and the recommendation is to use a laser toner printer and use PVA glue to transfer the print. Wondering if we have one.

We do – the Brother printer located in Textiles is a laser. However, it only prints in black, so multi-block printing might be tricky.

I know because I’m trying the exact same thing (albeit using Liquitex medium) :slight_smile: Tracing on lino with graphite paper has gotten pretty annoying, thought I’d give this a shot.

Cool, yeah I dont care if its black only, should work for me. How well did the transfer work?

I’ve done this type of transfer with great success using xerox copies and a blender marker (xylene solvent.)

FWIW, our regular laser printer doesn’t print with good quality. I want to set your expectations appropriately. I’d classify it as functional, but not clean or pretty

2 Likes

Ah, good to know – thanks @stepho.

@HannaKessler, I won’t get to the shop until this weekend so it’s very much TBD on my end. I’ll post my attempt as soon as it’s ready.

Quick update from my side: afraid that the laser printer didn’t really work out for me. Using only the backing paper (with labels removed) caused the printer to have difficulties pulling it through the rollers, causing jams.

After two such attempts, I tried removing the labels and repositioning them on the back of the backing paper, exposing the shiny side to the printer. It was able to move the sheet through the rollers, but the toner ran too much for my purposes (see below).

So either my label paper is somehow incompatible with the process (entirely possible) or it’s not a great printer (like @stepho warned) or maybe some combination of the two. I’ll be trying the inkjet + acetone process next, although I fully expect I’ll have to go back to graphite paper transfer once again.