DC Brushless Motor install for golf cart electric conversion

Hi All - Im converting a beat up EZ GO to a DC Brushless motor - 48V 2000W. Trying to use a 48V 30A motor controller with 48V 12A lead acid batteries - I have 48V going into the controller but nothing coming out…

Would love some help figuring out how to get this to work - thanks!

Does the motor controller require 48V for forward voltage? Is that what you mean. Sounds like you may be meeting the forward voltage requirements, but maybe not enough current? Hard to tell without knowing the parts in particular.

Do you have links to spec sheets?

Hi - Sorry to get back so late - Im trying to put a pic of the motor Im attempting to put into this beat up EZGO golf cart, but this platform wont let me upload pics.

Its a Kunray DC Brushless, 48V, 1000W, with motor controller putting out 33A max.

My battery rig is : Lead acid 4x12V, 12A in series.

I’ve tried other similar motors - hoping this one works. I’ve also tried a couple different controllers, but can’t seem to get any of them to get the motor going.

Is my battery rig not enough? Ive watched other demos and it worked at 12/13 A. Not sure what Im doing wrong. Maybe I can send you pics via my email: marmstrong18@gmail.com

Thank you for the help!!

1000W at 12V is approaching 100A. With only one string of batteries 12A isn’t anywhere near what you need; if you meant 12Ah then the max discharge rate is probably somewhere around 30A, which is still a small fraction of the motor load.

You’d have to check your controller specs and see what the startup current demand it.

Each battery says 12V - 12AH

So that’s amp hours .

The batteries in series add up to 48V, and if I also put them in parallel they’ll add up to 24AH, right?

The motor says 48V 1000W.

Thank you for the advice!

What you need to know is the discharge characteristics of the batteries – how many amps they can supply and for how long. Compare that to the power demand of the motor + controller.

The discharge curve of a battery is only loosely related to its energy storage capacity. There are a lot of other factors that go into it, which should be detailed in your datasheets.

Likewise, the characteristics of the controller matter just as much as the characteristics of the motor. You say the motor’s 1000W max, but no controller is perfectly efficient so the low-voltage supply is going to have to be more. How much more depends on how good the controller is.

Got it - 48V 1000W motor is now working with 48V 12Ah battery set up. Bad Motor controllers I think were the problem. I am thinking the amps still arent strong enough to get the motor moving this big heavy golf cart but we’ll see.

Thank you all for the help!

On to welding…