Cutting large polycarbonate sheets

I’m a new member and I want to get the training I need for my immediate project as soon as I can but I’m not sure what class I need to sigh up for yet. I have some large (2ft x 3ft to 4ft x 4ft in size) and I need to trim them down a bit. The 4’x4’ sheet needs to be cut down to 3’x4’ and the other just need a long sliver taken off the edge. What would be the best way to cut that? What training would be recommended?

1 Like

Just cut it on the table saw or panel saw (needs woodshop safety)

If you’re in desperate straits, and those are the only cuts you need, I’d go in on Saturday and ask somebody kindly to help :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Yea panel saw/table saw would be best I think, can’t cut on the laser as PC is a no go material.

3 Likes

Heh, some of the parts I need don’t arrive until Monday and I have orientation on Tuesday. A table saw is the kind of thing I was hoping for. I’ll see if I can get someone to help me before I take wood safety but I singed up for the soonest one. Thanks!

1 Like

Do I need to get a special blade for the table saw by the way? Happy to buy something just need to know what to buy. McMaster-Carr has some pricey but specialized blades that list ploy-carbonate as a specific use case: McMaster-Carr

You’ll get moderately better cut quality with a high tooth count in a triple-chip grind instead of the alternating bevel typical for wood. For occasional use I wouldn’t bother unless you need the best possible edge finish.

… on the other hand, you want a good sharp blade so maybe bringing a fresh one isn’t a bad idea. I’d use something like this https://www.amazon.com/D1080N-Diablo-10-Inch-Non-Ferrous-PermaShield/dp/B00008WQ38

1 Like