Cut some new spoils into the spoilboard

Just wanted to send a note out to apologize for some of the newest gouges on the 5x10 CNC spoilboard. I was able to figure out what was happening before my whole file ran, but there are a handful of ~1/8" deep channels that I created. The only positive is that they were created with an 1/8" bit so they’re not very wide. I think I know what I did wrong, but will certainly be more careful in the future, and I was planning to make a donation to the consumables donation pot, unless there’s a better way for me to contribute towards making this right (@jamesfreeman @valerie please let me know).

As an aside, assuming my current theory is correct, I’ll try to lay out the reason this happened in case it helps anyone else.
First, I cut a bunch of channels 1/8" deep and some of those channels I did a second pass to make them 1/4" deep. On my second pass, in Vcarve I set the starting height to 0.125, and the final depth to 0.25. And just typing it out now I’m confirming my mistake. I thought the starting height was the starting depth, so I thought it would cut from 1/8 to 1/4 inch deep, but it actually took my material height to be 1/8" above my z height and then cut 3/8" deep, which was a ways into the spoilboard.

5 Likes

Thanks for the post @wynd. Easy mistake to make, but glad you shared it with us.

The QR cide is good, or you can donate through the website.