Copco Compressor Maintenance

@dannym will be doing some basic maintenance on the Copco compressor and showing me how to do it tomorrow at 9 pm. Anyone else who wants to learn how to maintain this important machine is welcome to observe as well.

3 Likes

@michleon100 @doug.squires @Snestle Your names came up as people who might be interested. Certainly no obligation of course.

I will try and make it.

Thanks…. I have an early appointment in the morning - but I will try and make it up there

If it’s a bad time but you are interested in learning, I can pass that information along later.

It’s a screw compressor, the way they work quietly is pretty cool. It’s very similar to a Roots-type supercharger. With minimal maintenance, they run forever.

Regrettably, the screw itself is not exposed for any of this. We’re changing filters, topping off the oil, and cleaning the scavenger pipe.

1 Like

Danny, you mentioned a servicing guide we should read, but I’m afraid I can’t find the link to it anywhere. Can you please (re-)share that here?

Shared with stewards group. There is also a factory service manual and a manual with parts exploded view

2 Likes

Here’s the link to the maintenance doc shared.

I don’t see a reason to limit the view on this, but it’s important to note that all maintenance and repairs on equipment at Asmbly (regardless of whether it is owned or hosted) should be done in coordination with @jamesfreeman – our Director of Operations. No one should do machine maintenance/repairs without approval from him. Maintenance discussed here was approved, I’m just reiterating this to make clear that just because we’re widely sharing documentation on how to do things, doesn’t automatically grant permission to do it.

Hope several people are able to join tonight for this maintenance work! This is an important tool in the shop, so it would be great to have several people trained and knowledgeable about how it works and what is needed to maintain it.

2 Likes

Thank you for posting the link; I was going to do so but I don’t access Google Docs or Google Drive from my phone so I hadn’t been able to yet.

One subtle addendum to Valerie’s statement: maintenance and repair approval may include additional context. A pure maintenance session has not been authorized for tonight. Only a combined maintenance plus education session has been approved.

It turns out an oil change was not yet required as we originally thought. We changed the air filter and did some general cleaning. Danny ran me, Josh Butts, and Shane Nestle through the basics of its operation, what problems can arise, and how to change the oil when it is necessary. With this, plus Danny’s service guide (which is clear and comprehensive), I’m certain any of us can handle the necessary routine maintenance. If no problems arise, the next scheduled maintenance would be the yearly service in mid-February. All the parts and tools are on hand for that, stored in a cardboard box in the storage shelves of the machine shop annex.

4 Likes

Fantastic! Thank you @dannym @mgmoore @jimbojsb and @Snestle!

1 Like