Connection to polyprinter

Having trouble establishing connection from computer to polyprinter. “Could not connect to COM4…” error

Loaded file but not clear about next step

I went through procedures in manual to establish connection between polypronter (computer) and the printer without success. I also disconnected usb cables at the printer and the red box to the left of the “x-max” so not clear if missing step is connecting to OneDrive.

I was able to connect. But the raspberry Pi thing was what was in the way. I relocated the laptop and plugged in the USB cable directly and made the connection.

Id like to suggest to Gregory or the powers the be that a QR code would be useful for a quick start guide.

You arent supposed to bypass the raspberry pi.

Thanks for that information. That said, a LOT has changed since you worked with me last year on the polyprinter. I was unable to [connect] and wasted a few hours attempting to work it out - which I never did even after reviewing the manual and troubleshooting the laptop.

Jon Eckland suggested bypassing the raspberry pi. He’d heard it was problematic as had Joe Ngo. This is not to throw shade on what you want to achieve with it but to highlight the need for additional guidance.

A QR code on the machine would do the trick. You or someone designated by ASMBLY could maintain a QR document(s) containing relevant guidance visible on a users phone with links to relevant documents and troubleshooting guides.

Polyprinter.com web pages include this one linking to videos at the bottom of the page

This YouTube VIDEO is pretty useful: Basic training for use of the PolyPrinter 3D printers. In my opinion, upgrades and or deviations from “standard” operations should be noted to support the occasional novice and user readily available.

ASMBLY is full of very talented and professional people as well as novice users. Helpful people are not always available and even with training programs people forget which buttons to push in what sequence. I support ASMBLY even though I use the resources infrequently. Just like the keeping it clean ethos advocated by member, I do expect things will work when I arrive or I will have resources to get through rough patches.

Jon Eckland suggested bypassing the raspberry pi. He’d heard it was problematic as had Joe Ngo.

A lot of the issue with the RPis is the fact that nobody who has password access to the networking hardware is willing to take the time to map the MAC address to a static IP address at the DHCP server so that the RPis don’t randomly change their address.

Take that up with Jon and Joe.

1 Like

I’ve made many attempts as trying to get resolution for the issues with the Pi. I’ve asked for assistance here on the forum as well as on SLACK. My attempts at getting these things resolve have fallen on deaf ears. Also, the pi that they are referring to is probably in the landfill somewhere as it was replaced about 3 weeks ago.

I honestly don’t care how it gets resolved just that it does. The soonest i can foresee any changes being made is not until the workday that’s happening in august. I wouldn’t necessarily get my hopes up though.

This discussion is in part part of a larger conversation.

Raspberry pi and laser maintenance are above my pay grade. Not interested.

What I can say though is that one ASMBLY goal (mission?) that is almost universal is to empower members to be successful using tools and technology - woodworking, metalworking, CNC, lasers, 3d printing. Skill comes with practice.

Sawing metal or wood involves a direct connection with those materials. Technology allows us to do this “better”. Still we must learn three distinct levels of abstraction one dependent on the previous.

The first level of abstraction in the creative process is the design, what’s in your brain.

The second level of abstraction is software like VCarve, Ai, Fusion360, Solidworks that digitizes what’s in your brain.

The third level of abstraction is programing a machine to do quickly what might take forever by hand.

Operating the technology safely: saws, planers, welders, lasers. 3D printers…might be the final goal.

I’d like to suggest that many members aspirations end there. Additional levels of complexity like running a business or marketing or navigating the back end of ASMBLY or maintaining the equipment or networking is not in their wheelhouse. I don’t suggest I am a typical ASMBLY member, but management and back end of ASMBLY is not why I’m a member. It’s to cut wood, flatten boards, make holes cut difficult shapes in plastic easily.

Eye on the prize.

Helping members navigate the first four levels of abstraction defines ASMBLY’s success. The people who help members achieve their aspirations are the heroes. There are many who do that at ASMBLY and my gratitude to them.

Circling back to the raspberry pi thing, if it’s not broke don’t fix it. If it is broke find a solution. A member completing their project defines success. Let’s keep it there and not add yet another level of abstraction needing additional maintenance.

1 Like

Did you ever talk to Elrod? I’ve heard a lot of complaining but not seen a an actionable request. At bare minimum we need a list of MAC addresses that need to be fixed. It’d also be nice to know what these things are and what they’re supposed to do – when I took the PolyPrinter class, there wasn’t a pi involved. You’re asking for changes to space infrastructure; they’re not major, but it seems only courteous to explain why.

I took a stab at it on the 19th by looking in the router log and trying to guess what you’re up to. Elrod also volunteered to help. We’re not going to chase you down - help us help you.

David’s concern has nothing to do with network connectivity or lack thereof – 3D printer classes have been going on at the space for years and we don’t ask people to re-qualify or re-take classes when setups are updated. Procedures have to be clearly documented so members who have been using a piece of equipment can continue using that piece of equipment.

Hey folks, I may be talking out of class or below your level. Apologies. For others, now that we are going to restaurants again QR codes are everywhere for menus. They are easy to set up, cheep, and a dynamic QR code means what a QR code points to (the document or video that shows up on your on your phone) can be changed as often as necessary.

I don’t really understand how the wiki works so I have a hard time getting information how to do things. Eg, a bandsaw blade broke once last year. What do I do? The saw stop gets triggered, What do I do? Big Red is not cutting properly. What can I do to address this? Can I do it or do I just go home? Who do I notify.

Perhaps there ought to be a knowledge base generated internally. Maybe that already exists. From the ASMBLY website it is definitely not apparent where that information lives or how to access it.

I’m in no position to propose solutions here, but I can express my frustrations and willingness to help cobble systems that would help out. Maybe that’s the August work day. Maybe it’s a subcommittee of the instructors. Just putting it out ther not as a complaint but as an opportunity to grow in a healthy way.

Do you mean this post concerning mac addresses?

Valerie laid out what the purpose of octoprint which is run on the pis is for in this post:

And on the issue of no action on my part I give you the following posts:

which was 2 months ago, as well as the request in slack:

So the problem isn’t the issue of inaction on my part by any means. Quite the contrary.

However, David did bring up a good point and a tutorial/walkthrough has already been completed, and have submitted it to Valerie for posting on the website.