CNC Tray

I had this great looking offcut that I just had to do something with. Is it a tray? A bowl? What is it good for? I don’t know, but I like it!

I showed this at the CNC SIG, but I thought I would post here to show the stock and some of the other setup photos.

I sketched out a circle on the stock that would work and marked the center.

For the pocket, I thought it would be neat if I could match the shape of the live edge. To do this, I took a photo of the stock, and you can import that into Fusion 360 and sketch over it. The ruler is for adjusting the scale of the photo in Fusion. The vertical line in pencil is for aligning the photo and subsequent sketches to the y-axis.

When it came time to CNC, I aligned my pencil line to the y-axis by eye, just moving a v-bit up and down the axis. Then I moved the v-bit to the circle diameter I marked and set my origin there.

7 Likes

Beautiful work!

2 Likes

This is stunning and I really appreciate you showing the evolution of where it came from! This makes me look at live edge scraps I have differently. Thank you!

1 Like

@atwatsoniii showed this at the recent SIG, and what a great post detailing the build. It was stunning in person!

Video link for the SIG:

1 Like