CNC rotary

Did the CNC rotary get cleared for service, and is a class required? This thread seems to have dribbled out with no conclusion: 4th axis rotary - #75 by pearlgreymusic

Side note: can we dial down or disable some of the nanny features in here? “CNC Rotary” is a perfectly valid title, but I’m informed it must be at least 15 characters.

1 Like

Done. Discourse has a lot of configuration options - most of ours are still on defaults.

1 Like

Thanks!!

The rotary needs some help to finish. The 1st test had some issues. The diameter of the cylinder was not the correct size. The cut was not the full 360 deg. I believe it was 270 deg. We should get some minds together to help get it into service.

2 Likes

@JoeN is correct. Mechanically, the rotary is functional. The initial test didn’t go very well, and we welcome help with it.

2 Likes

I don’t have any particular skills in this department, but I can hand you the correct wrench 90% of the time.

2 Likes

I guess the first question is who’s interested in working on this? If the answer is nobody has time right now, am I allowed to work on it?

Your more than welcome to work on it. From a hardware stand point the rotary is functional. Its the software aide we haven’t completed.

1 Like

I was not there for the physical testing. I think we need to help to dial in the configuration.

Is vcarve the only software at Asmbly that does 4th axis? Unfortunately Fusion charges a lot for that add on.

For now, yes. Autodesk unfortunately doesn’t offer a discounted version of that advanced machining add-on for Fusion, and I doubt we’ll ever be able to justify a multi-thousands-per-year subscription price. We can get Inventor at a reasonable cost, but it sounds annoying to have to learn a different Autodesk package to do multi-axis. We might consider buying Aspire if there’s a good argument to be made for it.