Christmas gifts

After the crush for the market, I had to turn around since gifts, to get them under the tree. I haven’t posted a project in a while. I really enjoyed working with bocote for another project, so some had to go into some cutting boards…
First is maple, purple heart, canary wood and bocote. Second is purple heart, canary wood, and bocote.

8 Likes

These are gorgeous! I love seeing what everyone did with the hardwood from upstairs. That bocote is epic!

I actually bought new wood for these. But all based on wood that was upstairs that I was unfamiliar with before. I made the trivets from the bocote. It’s a great wood to work.

1 Like

@cfstaley - what do you like to use to finish cutting boards?

I’m trying Odie’s Oil right now, and I like that. I’ve used Walrus Oil Furniture Butter before. That’s a beautiful finish, but it wears off. Both are food safe. I think that Odie’s catalyzes a little more. Rubio is also foodsafe, but I haven’t tried that yet (on a cutting board). I don’t make a lot of cutting boards, but I do like Rubio on other projects.

Bocote is a very striking wood specially with a clear coat applied. Just in case you dont know, when it comes to gluing, wipe surfaces with acetone or denatured alcohol and apply glue shortly after cleaning when using PVA glues. PVA glues are the yeller glues such as Titebond. The wood has oil and sometimes is excessive and you may get a joint failure. Bocote also is super nice to turn. Other woods in this family with the same gluing characteristics are Chechen, Cocobolo, Ziricote, Chakte Kok, Chakte Viga. If you can find them take a chance, you will not be disapointed in super striking colors.

1 Like

Whelp, I’ll have to hope that the Titebond III holds up. Lol

I ran out of time to make the gifts I had planned for my nieces and nephews, so I instead made them “Golden Tickets” to make the projects together. Hard to tell in the photos, but these are 1/4" prefinished ply with their names engraved on the prefin side and the golden ticket info on the raw side that was then painted gold. Here are the recipients with their tickets plus an extra prop one so you can see both sides at one time (plus my eldest nephew who is 18 so he got a membership gift card instead).

I fashioned them after the design on the Willy Wonka golden ticket –

8 Likes

You’ll have to keep us updated with the projects they choose to make!

3 Likes