Can I use epoxy on the wood lathe?

I did a bit of research into turning composite wood blocks recently, and noticed some people incorporate materials like epoxy resin for an extra splash of color.

I believe there’s a sign at the wood lathes saying “Wood Only”, but are there any exceptions for materials like epoxy?

Also, any tips on handling composite blocks for turning would be much appreciated since there are probably special considerations for turning something with varying hardness.

1 Like

@wynd may be able to answer this question more definitively, but I’d wager a guess that turning epoxy is just fine. I think the wood only designation is more meant to outlaw metal turning on those lathes. wood and epoxy is a pretty common material, and from what I’ve seen online it tends to turn quite well. I’ve never done it myself, so I don’t have any advice, but good luck!

1 Like

Agreed on deferring to @wynd for definitive answer, but I’d put my money on @gordoa40’s guess about it being more a distinction between wood and metal. Another thing that maybe is or maybe isn’t relevant with things other than wood is what that may mean for tools used. I’m very much so a lathe noob, but what I’ve been learning thus far is that HSS vs carbide may be more sensible with some materials over others and your techniques with the tools may change depending on your materials.

Lots of considerations to take into account with lathe! Definitely take @wynd’s class if you are new to lathe and haven’t already!

1 Like

yup, @gordoa40 and @valerie are exactly right. The main reason for saying wood only is to prevent metal from being cut on the wood lathes. Epoxy is totally fine. I have never turned anything with epoxy, but as I understand you just need to be careful because the pressure you apply during the cut will be different depending on the material you’re going to cut, so when you have more than one material in your piece, you just need to take a little extra caution. But yeah, @Nocturnip, let me know if I can help with any other questions! And make sure to post pictures of any projects, I’m excited to see what you make!

3 Likes

Yikes if someone even thinks it is a good idea to free hand turn metal.

2 Likes

Actually, a lot of the work done on Jeweler’s Lathes is freehand on metal.

Now, admittedly, you’re not turning 316L Stainless or taking 100mil cuts. Almost all the work is done on brass or similar soft material on very small parts.

However, I have an old book on Horology from about 1940, and it spends about 15% of the pages explaining how to make a power feed for a Jeweler’s Lathe for when you need it. So, most of the work was done by hand and only a little required power feeds.

1 Like

So basically not real metals. :sweat_smile: Just kidding.

I’ve got a friend who maintains that aluminum is a species of oak :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Your friend isn’t technically wrong. Aluminum makes everyone look like a hero on the metal lathe

1 Like

Try driving nails into oak and you’ll be pining for aluminum.

1 Like

“Pining”. Ha ha. :crazy_face:

1 Like

I have turned epoxy, acrylic, and polyester resin. Alumilite (resin. Not aluminum) is used frequently for pens. Also polymer clay that has been baked. All worked well on mini lathe. Turn easily in long strands whic accumulate quickly. Can overheat if tool not sharp enough.
Works best with a medium pot time with vacuum chamber followed by pressure chamber until full cure to eliminate bubbles

2 Likes