I don’t know about mosquitos, but a member (I don’t know his name) said he worked at a nursery, and he pointed out several different infestations on the plants today. I don’t remember the details. Hopefully all the work Eric has been doing on the aquaponics is aimed at addressing these issues.
Mosquito larva need still water to survive to adulthood. The two pumps on the system keep the water moving fairly well. I have seen no larva in the either tank. But my eyes are not the best. They hang at the water surface and escape downward when disturbed. A couple of small fish would take care of the problem if any are spotted.
The taro had an infestation of spider mites or something. I removed most of the infested plants and it looked like someone sprayed some of the other leaves with something, hopefully just neem oil.
Mosquito dunks in the system will also kill the other organisms living in the tanks including the Large River Prawns
I have not checked them for larva but I’ve seen pails used to catch water from leaky faucets in the bathroom and shop.
The bathroom sink leak source was discovered during the work day but not able to be fully repaired that day. I can’t recall if the bucket in there got dumped, but if it hasn’t that’s something that should be done (outside) so we at least don’t have a big bucket full of water. There was an uncapped sewage pipe under the utility sink outside the bathroom that got capped at the work day, but no leaks down there. I believe Eric already checked the aquaponics system and confirmed they are not coming from there.
It does seem like the bathroom sink leak and bucket water collection is the likely cause. I almost wonder if having such a large bucket is hurting us because it is easy to ignore for a good while with it’s large capacity and becomes more unwieldy for people to empty in the toilet? I’m not sure whether the leak is a spewing sort of one or more a controlled drip situation. Another thing @David is also working on is making an actual access panel to the sink from the shop side (there were just some hole openings in the wall between the shop and the bathroom). This will make it a lot easier for us to do plumbing work on this sink in the future.
Hopefully we’ll have the “new to Asmbly” sink ready to go in there in a couple weeks at which point we should have all leak issues fully resolved.
I wasn’t able to bring the zapper, but I did bring a small bag of the mosquito bits and sprinkled some in the trash can under the sink (thank you to whoever dumped the can!). There were lots of warnings on the bag that I tried to capture on the bag I left there. Full info can be found here https://summitchemical.com/products/mosquito-bits/
This should NOT be used in the aquaponics set up unless @beirdo decides to use it there himself. Another thing to note is that a little goes a very long way (1 tsp per 25 sqft). We shouldn’t need to reup in this bathroom bucket, but if we find other standing water sources a steward can help get some put in those as well.