Camper Build/Van Conversion Interest Group

I’d like to see if there’s interest in forming a group around Bus Conversions/Campers/Hashtag Van Life etc.

Feel free to reply here or e-mail ashley.lee@asmbly.org

3 Likes

I’d be interested. I’ve done quite a bit of research on van builds, something I definitely want to build for myself in the next couple years.

1 Like

I’d be interested as well.

I don’t want to be a stick in the mud, but does the current rule structure at the space allow for a project of this scope.
There were several projects during the early days, some went smoothly and finished in a short time span. Others, were albatross’s at the space.

I am onboard with the idea.

Peace, Wolf

I’m not sure what issues could arise now. No one can monopolize the auto bay because we don’t have an auto bay anymore. I guess I don’t know what our parking policy is. (I don’t see any mention in the member handbook.) We shouldn’t let anyone, van conversion or not, park indefinitely in the limited spots right in front of the shop entrance. Likewise, parking right in front of the garage door should be only for limited times for everyone. But I don’t think we’ve had any serious issues with either in a while.

No one can leave a vehicle overnight, and our landlord is very strict about this.

I believe the idea for this group was a meeting of those who are doing conversions of this type. Swapping ideas, tips, tricks, and so on. It’s a popular thing for folks to be doing, and our shop has many tools that would be useful for a build-out.

4 Likes

There’s been some van conversion work done rather recently. There’s no reason a vehicle can’t stay operable while being outfitted.

4 Likes

I’m a member who has been living full time in a self converted (and still in progress) campervan conversion for the last 7 months. I’d be down for a group as well as helping anyone interested with advice and help on their build. I’ve got a 12v electrical system, 12v fridge, running water with a sink, future plans for a wet bath (shower/toilet combo), and a full size Murphy bed with built in storage. I’m also in the process of building my own wood and fiberglass high top conversion. I work on classic car restoration and custom cars for a living and know proper conversion practices and how to do things safely.

5 Likes

I’m down!

@0xKruzr I’d like to rope you into this thread as well as @boomshiddang

2 Likes

First Camper Build/Van Conversion Meet-Up
Please input approximate date and location preference

• Weekday (Feb. 6-10)
  • Weekend (Feb. 11 or 12)
  • At ASMBLY
  • Off-site i.e. Brewery

0 voters

thanks! obviously very interested :slight_smile:

Just want to BUMP this for votes @RickyGuinn @KnightOfNih @LoboFPV @Maxb45678 @cbrtrk @0xKruzr @boomshiddang

1 Like

Thanks! Voted just now.

1 Like

I’m interested. I built out a van from scratch a few years ago and my wife and I traveled and lived in it for about 10 months.

Is this series of events still happening in 2024?

We actually just took it off the schedule due to lack of interest. If enough people are interested and there is someone willing to host it monthly, we can certainly bring it back!

2 Likes

Im very interested in getting together with like-minded wanderlusts. I want to design a build for a minivan, the old lady nomad van of choice. Because I want to take an electric trike with me on my travels, I have put a proverbial wrench in any traditional layout. Also, I need help with CAD and all things computer for using the CNC router. I live South. My only problem with getting to Asmbly is the schlepp from E Ben White and E Riverside. So, a meetup more Central is preferable.

3 Likes

The Vanlife SIG has been revived! The next meeting is Thursday, March 14th @ 7PM. More information here.

4 Likes

Bump. I can’t wait.