Call for Volunteers: Wiki Update Project

Call for Volunteers: Wiki Update Project

Duration of Project:
Ongoing

Number of Volunteers Needed:
At least 3 core members with calls for more volunteers to meet short-term goals

Project Description:
Asmbly aims to reorganize and revise our wiki - especially equipment pages. We seek consistency, updated information, and improved clarity across all wiki entries.

Project Goals:

• Ensure the wiki provides clear and comprehensive information about our equipment.
  • Ensure each piece of equipment has a detailed wiki entry.
  • Develop a template for future wiki entries.

Volunteer Roles Needed:

• Project Lead: Coordinate volunteers, develop timelines, and ensure progress.
  • Scanner: Identify articles needing adjustment, and re-categorize misattributed wiki pages.
  • Organizer: Implement a uniform template, transfer existing information to the new format.
  • Copywriter: Enhance wikis with additional information where needed.
  • Reviewer: Edit and review completed wikis.

Time Commitment:
This is a long-term project with no set end date, especially as we acquire more equipment. In the short term, we aim to establish a more efficient system for future wiki creation/editing. Any time you can contribute is welcome.

Volunteer Requirements:
One volunteer should have a working knowledge of wikis (or be willing to learn) and be willing to train others.

Contact Information:
If interested, please reply to this thread. If there’s enough interest, I’ll arrange a meeting.

Additional Notes:
Volunteer hours count towards free membership.

2 Likes

Hi Sid, I’m keen to put my name on the list and definitely get more information on the project. Please keep me in the loop as interest grows. Hopefully others seeing this will be encouraged to join in.

2 Likes

I am interested, particularly in scanner and copy editor. I am out in the summers all but a few days each month, and this would be a good way to stay connected. I am wondering if the scanner role might not naturally intersect with some of the functions and goals in the video project? I have interest in both projects

2 Likes

I’m working on the resin printer wiki content and will send that once the committee forms.

2 Likes

I don’t have the mental bandwidth for a lead role, but I’ve already started scanning the Laser wiki pages and noting updates that should be made, so I’d be happy to help out scanning and copy writing.

Some of the fixes I’ve noted are no-brainers, like fixing 404’d links, other changes might need to wait for the template to be created.

I’m not sure how qualified I am to create those templates, but I definitely have opinions on formatting for readability.

I think someone else has already started making some kind of template for the laser documentation, so I’ll let someone with more knowledge chime in about the templates.

2 Likes

Does the copywriter need expertise in the relevant tools to identify what additional information is missing?

In the past I’ve tried to look up stuff in the Wiki and failed to find what I wanted - either it’s my lack of knowledge/ability-to-search or it’s not there and should be. So I’ll toss my hat in the ring as a volunteer, however, I’m an engineer and if you need a English major I’m not your guy.

2 Likes

The wiki editing is one of those things that isn’t hard, but also isn’t intuitive. You do need to be logged in to make edits.

I do remember Sid was learning about this stuff a while back and they might be able to point volunteers in the right direction

I think looking into the manuals and talking to people at Asmbly who have worked with these tools the most is the approach. Maybe copywriters draft and we can get the instructor of the tool to edit and finalize?

This is great, y’all! I think there’s enough interest to move forward with both projects. I’ll be reaching out to everyone next week to find a time we can all talk. Thank you for your enthusiasm!

1 Like

Id GLADLY take ANY available role!
Sorry just found this. If i can get setup to help (and have it count towards my hours) I will reactivate immediately. Just been sort of waiting for a good time ^,^
Thanks so much for posting and hope you all have a wonderful day! :yellow_heart: