Bought a Freightliner MT45 to convert last week!

Howdy!

I just got home from tonight’s orientation, and Michael was insistent that I introduce myself here before I get into the shop safety class Aug. 6.

I’m not doing this as a lifestyle choice in my 40s; rather, rent keeps going up more than pay, so instead of letting the next bump eat my entire food budget, this seemed the better option. What I was not expecting was finding a van so quickly, so the timetable shifted up two months, and I’m now behind the 8 ball instead of continuing to proceed at a medium pace.

I pulled the trigger on this van because it was under my budget and a work truck, 5.9 Cummins/Allison automatic, 18’, half-width swing doors, 30A shore power connector, inverter and AC outlets, stereo wired to the cargo area, pegboard for all the walls and ceiling, engine-driven cab-top A/C unit and from the list of things I’d never have looked for … a hydraulic liftgate.

The amount of wiring already done is both a blessing and a curse, and I won’t be certain which is dominant until I’m behind the pegboard. But everything needs to get disconnected from the starter batteries and attached to my LiFePO4 “house” batteries.

For those keeping score, my wiring experience consists of some soldering in the '90s, and I once built rabbit hutches with a circular saw. My dad wasn’t familiar with screwdrivers, so this isn’t just a lack of interest on my part … I’m the type to need a project before I can retain new information about getting it done. And, boy howdy, is this a project.

This is the culmination of my original tiny house idea circa 2016 adapted to consider that climate change is making a land purchase look dicey. I didn’t start seriously researching until I happened upon someone’s MT45 build, and it’s been pretty much nothing but since.

The plan as it stands, with all but strut channel and 2" Foamular purchased already:

• 1200W 3P4S solar installed on said channel to minimize roof holes/water ingress, 150/60 MPPT charge controller, 2x 300Ah 12.8V batteries in series for 24V system
  • insulate walls, ceiling and floor, trim pegboard to new dimensions
  • extant queen bed on 36-40" loft (exact TK after insulating) with 8-cube Kallax storage units under head and foot lying flat for vertical access with bins
  • false wall above bed ~30" from back of truck so garage has interior access underbed but some full-height space
  • gaming rig is coming with (only draws 32W watching YouTube), to be hooked up to horrifically vampiric TV (11W sleeping!) with physical switch to kill outlets
  • no plumbing to start, just a rechargeable pump that sits atop 5-gallon jugs and TBD toilet, but eventually a shower stall
  • kitchen consists of 24V fridge, single electric burner and combo microwave/toaster/convection oven (the latter of which, yes, will eat a one sixth of the battery array in an hour)
  • using half my sofa cushions and some storage containers as a loveseat; final arrangements undetermined
  • lots of storage already built in that isn’t my style but is sturdy, purpose-built storage it would be asinine to throw away (like drawers alongside the wheel well at the same height)
  • diesel heater to start; I’ll figure out permanent HVAC solution by spring, as this A/C cuts it for driving, but I wouldn’t want to live there in these temps

I’d love to talk with people about plans, unexpected problems, fun stuff, ideas … you know, the place one gets when YouTube hits the point of deck chairs being rearranged on a topic and friends are sick of hearing about that damn van already!

Might be earlier than I expected, but it’s still just as exciting.

Cheers!

4 Likes

Hi Pete, Welcome to ASMBLY. We saw you pulling out after your orientation during the vanlife SIG - Trials and Tribulations meeting. All I can say is damn that’s nice! I’m excited for you. You’ve come to the right place.

Thanks for the warm welcome! When I went to sign up for the shop safety course after getting home last night, I realized the SIG was happening and rather wished I’d stuck around. Today was an astounding amount of runaround on getting what is apparently a single pane of glass from Utilimaster for my driver’s window, so Trials and Tribulations may have made the day seem less disjointed. Looking forward to meeting y’all!

I’m into off-grid RV building myself! Would love to meet this week, when would you be available?

Vanlife: Trials & Tribulations SIG

Tuesday, August 29⋅7:30 – 8:30pm

Mark it on your calendars :slight_smile:

So let it be marked. Glad to see there’ll be one this month!

Right now, I’m about to (hopefully) start pulling off the pegboard. There’s shelving that needs to come down first, so I’m thinking that’ll be at least the rest of the week since it’s only cool enough to work on it before my job. There’s so many extras on the van that I can’t begin to imagine what the wiring looks like back there, but at this point, I’ll probably be beyond confused and could certainly use an experienced set of eyes on things.

I’ll post another reply when the walls are off. I really don’t want my first impression to be of a flake, and I could be wildly over- or underestimating the wall and ceiling work ahead of me. Especially if the all-but-kitchen-sink security-bit set I got for the pegboard turns out to be a nonstarter (they just look like round holes to me, but I asked a YouTuber who started with the same walls, and he actually responded and pointed me to the bits).