Blue Laser Focus Stick

I thought it was odd that we don’t have a separate Focus stick for the Blue laser, so I measured Pearl focusing stick and made a model of it in onshape dot com. See the model here:

I then used Pearl to laser cut the design. See attached photo. I left the new Focus stick on the blue workstation.

The laser cut version works, but it isn’t fabulous. I think 3D printing the stick would be the way to go, but I don’t yet have the related training. Can someone print a focus stick for the Blue laser for me?

– Eric

1 Like

Here is the onshape model for someone to 3d print: Onshape

And here is my (poor) attempt to laser cut a rectangular version:

I can print it, but I don’t see a way to get a .STL from this software. Can you provide that or tell me how to do it? I don’t see any options to export at all.

Blue should have the stock ULS focus tool. It may have been misplaced though.

Pearl and Blue have identical carriages and use the same tool

I did 3D print a couple of focus tools for Pearl. They’re an improvement because it’s clearer how it’s supposed to be used. I have seen many users measuring the stick on the side of the carriage, which is a bit off and uncertain, the ULS tool is supposed to be measured against the front of the carriage not the side.

The stock ULS stick has its own problem with rotary use, by placing in front of the carriage to measure properly then the bottom of the tool won’t rest on the highest point of the workpiece placed in it. The red and purple 3D printed tools are designed with a flat work measuring surface directly under the lens. One is right handed and the other left handed, well, they align on different sides of the carriage and left-hand makes sense for Pearl since the control panel needs your right hand

If you left click to select the object and then right click on it. There is an option to export as an .stl. In the case of this model you have to click on both objects to export it correctly