Big thick acrylic scraps -- take them before they are trashed!

Save these scraps from getting sent to the dumpster and pick up some nice big acrylic cutoffs!

Someone left a large stack of big acrylic scraps in the lobby. I can absolutely appreciate that these are valuable scraps that would be a tragedy to throw away, they also should not be left this way at the space. Post them on the Discourse here, put a sign on them making it clear they are up for grabs, and reach out to leadership to discuss (a plan of action to ensure they are gone in a reasonable time frame must be set). Do not leave stacks of material like this with no information or notice.

1 Like

Ill come look tomorrow if theyre still there. No promises on taking it but who knows maybe ill add to my growing pile of materials sitting in my living room…

1 Like

I cant take the whole thing, but ill come by tomorrow and take a few if theyre are any left. Those would make a perfect backing for my led board.

1 Like

@duskglow how much do you want? I don’t have a use for them i would just be stashing them for… whenever. If i do end up taking them i can leave however much you/anyone else want.

Enough to cover around 4 feet by 2 feet. I dont know how wide the strips are though so i cant give an exact number. By the looks of it, about five of the long ones would work?

1 Like

Ok ill post a rough size when i get there tmr morning

Thanks much. Ill pop around probably around noon as well.

The pieces are 10" to 12" by 96. The narrow ones are about 6 by 30. I moved the narrow ones into the scrap bin. Be careful when handling them. They have some sharp areas around some of the corners. All of them are 1/4" thick. Also when i was moving them they were some little spiders coming out of the pile. Those are also free :).

1 Like

Ah, thank you. Then by my calculation ill only need two or so of the long ones, if i cut them right i can make four 22 inch strips, and that would make a “panel” of 44 to 48 inches out of one, and that should be just right.

Two just in case i miscalculated. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Good luck beating me to the pile!!

2 Likes

Dang Randall’s got class tomorrow… get it while hes distracted :eyes:

1 Like

Id like to grab a couple pieces tomorrow, if yall can leave some behind.

1 Like

Theres two left as of now

2 Likes

Hi! I’m the one who left those yesterday. Apologies for just leaving it- I’m new to the space (wasn’t on discourse yet) and was unsure who to talk to about it, but salvaged them from a fabrication shop that was about to trash them. If they’re not trashed, I was thinking of cutting down the long scraps so they would fit in the scrap bin unless they’re all being taken/there’s no room.

3 Likes

The big pieces are all gone it looks like- the smaller ones still in the scrap. I’m likely going to take whats left in the scrap after 1 pm unless people want the small pieces.

1 Like

I grabbed the last two big pieces, dont need anything else.

… and then there were none. :joy:

Thank you for speaking up @Myrnalew and genuine thanks for sharing these with the community. As you can see, people are very interested in these scraps!

Posting here on Discourse in the up for grabs section and emailing membership@asmbly.org to notify us about this would be the way to handle this sort of thing in the future. Main thing is we want to make sure the space keeps moving forward on the cleanliness track and doesn’t get stuff piled up and abandoned.

1 Like

I forgot to take the other pieces out of scrap as I was leaving so if someone else wants them theyre still there. Theyre thicker- i believe half inch. I’m going to try to swing by after errands later if no one gets them.

I’ll gladly take scrap acrylic :))))) thanks @Myrnalew

I’ll have to get in the habit of checking Discourse before leaving there. I could have had first pick.

If anyone has some of the 1/4” to spare, I could possibly use a piece: either 1.5” by 12” or 3” by 6”. It’s for a project I’m doing for the workshop.