Bending aluminum plate

This info probably exists somewhere on the internet, but I wanted an excuse to ask a question here because I’m new and I want to meet more of you.

I’m kicking off a project to make an aluminum stand for a coffee maker. The prototype was made using ⅛" steel that was powder coated. I know very little about the different types of aluminum, are there types that would be better suited for bending? Any need for heating it up pre or post bending? I need to put two 90 degree bends in it. I’m guessing that the plate thickness will be around 3/16"

Also is water jet the best method for cutting? The edge quality is important.

1 Like

5052 is better suited to bending without cracking than 6061. There are techniques to heating and bending 6061 without cracking. I think 6061 machines a tiny bit cleaner than 5052

3 Likes

Good to know @JoeN For this project machinability isn’t that important. What method would you suggest for cutting the plate? Do you have the ability to run an aluminum plate cutting job?

2 Likes

Cut it on an adequate laser, or CNC plasma cuter for final prototyping.

If you doing a lot of trial and error or RND you can get by with jig saws, or circular/table saws with a carbide tipped blade.

2 Likes

Is that big ol’ machine that just showed up in the shop capable of doing this? I think I may make a prototype using a jigsaw. That’s a good idea. Do you all have suggestions for sourcing 5052 aluminum plate locally?

aluminum’s low melting point makes it tricky to laser - you need to move really fast to keep the kerf from blowing out, so you counter-intuitively need a ton of power. Our fiber laser likely wouldn’t achieve good results in 3/16 aluminum.

1 Like

I can cut the al. 1/8” is fine for my fiber laser. 3/16” al would need to be cut by different means.

1 Like

If you’re unable to cut aluminum yourself, or have it cut locally, you can order it from SendCutSend

They will also do bending and finishing and other services too.

1 Like

I go to Westbrook Metals for the convenience. But there’s a supplier in South Austin that’s open weekends.

https://maps.app.goo.gl/CXkDcBYy4eEBNEXBA?g_st=ic

Any metal supplier will have 5052 sheet. Ask around for who can sell you a 1/2 sheet.

1 Like

This is 1/8” 5052 cut and untouched post cut on a fiber laser. The pierce marks comes off pretty easily with a finger nail. There is the slightest bit of dross on the back. It is easily removed with a file, or scotch brite wheel

4 Likes

Kids at school could print it … Printing liquid metal

Printing Liquid Metal - the video

Please lmk if you’d like an intro to the Self Assembly Lab team and I’ll see what I can do.

1 Like