Aux Room: Door Window Trim

Normally you use trim to cover up any irregularities created where the wall is cut for the window. But I overcut the drywall around the wall window enough that trim wouldn’t have covered the gap, so I started filling that gap in. And once I got started, I ended up filling in everything. So I think the wall window is fine without trim.

I filled in the gaps surrounding the window in the door too, so it’s very smooth. But drywall mud doesn’t match with the door’s wood veneer, so it will need some trim to conceal that border. The trim will need to be stained or painted to match with the door.

So you’ll first need to select what trim you will use (or create it), then decide how to blend with the door. I can order what you need then. Then you can cut, treat, and install the trim.

This is mainly a “would be nice” aesthetic project that nothing else depends on, so it can be done at wherever someone wants to tackle it.

3 Likes

I’ll be glad to do this. Do we have any trim boards already? Is there a brad nail gun in the shop or should I bring my own?

1 Like

We do not have any appropriate trim boards yet. You can get some and get reimbursed, or pick some out from Home Depot and I will order them online and get them for you.

We have a few nail guns on the tool wall, and we have nails for them in a small box somewhere in the aux room. (It contains the miscellaneous items bought for the refurbishment, but I’m not sure exactly where it ended up.)

We have primer and brushes if you are going to paint the boards; we don’t have stain if you want to go that route, but we can get them in the same manner as the boards.

It will require 3in wide boards to cover the repairs. Didn’t find any appropriate trim boards that wide at the store. The widest was about 2.5in. Stain grade boards are going to get pretty expensive. Window is 36 in by 30 in Both sides require finishing, so requires four 8ft boards. Price looks to be $60-$100. Might be able to get it from Fine Lumber.

Since we are looking at possibly moving in near future, is this worth time and expense?

3 Likes

Painted MDF?

1 Like

I was assuming we wanted stained wood as the door is stained. If the whole door will be painted, then anything goes. If painting, then Bondo and sanding will allow the use of simple 3/4” x 1/4” trim, which I have loads of.

I think whatever option balances cost and effort to keep both as minimal as reasonably possible. Painting the whole door sounds like a pain.

I think we can cobble together something acceptable looking from MDF — we have those wide strips in the aux room that we can use. Rather than match the stain exactly, we can probably pick a paint for it that will blend nicely. We can also use narrower trim if we offset the trim outward a bit; it would look like the e-lab window trim then. The exposed frame could also be painted then (but it should be caulked first).

I had hoped to maybe address this before Saturday, but we’ve had another extra work call so I cannot.

1 Like

No worries, I don’t think it’ll end up in any shots. Appreciate all the work y’all have done to take care of this and so many other things around the shop!