ARCFLAT Welding Tables

Hi, what are the chances that we can invest in some Modular Fixture Clamps for the new ARCFLAT welding tables the space just got? In my opinion, those tables won’t be able to be used as intended without those clamps as they are designed to fit in the holes machined in the table to hold down work while welding and what not. Looking on the Langmuir Systems website each clamp runs us about $25 and just to give some perspective on the number of clamps needed to build a four-part square frame on a table like this we would need at least one clamp per part holding each part in the middle. However, in my experience the more clamps you have to hold down work the less likely your work is to bend and warp from the heat added from welding/ plasma cutting, etc. So, if I was building a square frame, I would want at least two clamps per part to hold down each end of the parts of the square for a total of 8 clamps. We’re looking at about $200 before tax for 8 clamps. More would be better however! :smiley:

Could we please invest in some Langmuir Systems Modular Fixture Clamps preferably about 10-15 of them :)))) if not more so that each of our two fab tables could have someone setting up projects at the same time and not be limited by waiting until clamps are freed up?

I can spend maybe $500 on fixturing accessories nowish, but I need a list of what to get.

(Incidentally, our two fixturing tables are actually one fixturing table in two pieces. The joining kit finally arrived; some assembly is still required)

Hi Jon,

On the Langmuir Systems web site they claim that users of their Arc flat tables can use their modular clamps or third party 5/8” or 16 mm clamps and tooling. I did suggest we get 10+ clamps but from Langmuir Systems but maybe it is in our best interest to try a few before we go crazy and buy a bunch. Would you be willing to invest in maybe 4 clamps from Langmuir Systems and I can test them out for the space and get back to you on their performance? If they don’t work well maybe we can look into other weld table clamps on Mcmaster. What do you think?

-Andres

Thank you Andres for bringing this up we definitely need clamps good clamps of the right size to fully take advantage of all the benefits of these tables. I volunteer to connect the two tables. I should be able to get into the shop as soon as the weather clears up (tomorrow afternoon?). Where is the assembly kit hiding out?

On a somewhat related note—Are there any guidelines for the use and care of the Arcflat tables? Looking at the state of our former welding tables it seems that more care might need to be taken with these given that they are machined on 5 surfaces.

1 Like

I would suggest we buy some anti-spatter spray and advise users to spray the table down and not directly weld to the table. If we need to build jigs (weld to the table we should definetly use the old welding tables. Texas Weld supply and Air gas sell anti-spatter spray.

-Andres

I was also wondering about what we want to have everyone do about the spatter that will inevitably get on the surface? A couple of YouTube videos I watched recommended using a sharpening stone rather than a grinder to clean up any bits and bobs that get loose—at least to start. I can imagine less than optimal results if someone who is not experienced with the angle grinder lets loose on that machined surface.

Care should be taken to not damage the surface of these tables. A grinding stone should never touch them, if the need to be cleaned maybe a flap disc at most.

2 Likes

They’re grey cast iron, so in theory they should be more resistant to weld spatter than the steel tables. I’m unclear on the relationship between theory and practice in this case :slight_smile:

Yes. The theory and practice thing! I have no idea the best way the maintain these tables. I checked the Langmuir website, but did not find anything there. Not sure I would want just anyone hitting any of those machines surfaces with just any flap disk.

I brought it up because I had been thinking about how to keep the tables in good shape and couldn’t find a consensus. With it being cast iron, even keeping it rust free needs to be thought through given the temps that might be involved. There are alot of ways someone could compromise these machined surfaces. I think we need a clear policy lining out who, what, when and how with regards to maintaining the tables. We may not need the degree of flatness we bought, or we might. If we decide what we want and how to keep it now, it could save us some grief later.

1 Like

I would suggest we buy some anti-spatter spray and advise users to spray the table down and not directly weld to the table. If we need to build jigs (weld to the table we should definetly use the old welding tables. Texas Weld supply and Air gas sell anti-spatter spray.

-Andres

1 Like
  1. 10xModular Fixture Clamps

In my experience, (MIG) weld splatter and the table under it is too cold to get a good bond. I usually use a hard straight edge with some mass and speed behind it to get any stray metal droplets to pop off. The tip of a large pry bar is a good example of this. My table is 10mm hot-rolled sheet, so the cast material may behave a little different.

I’ve never tried spraying my table with antispatter. Wouldn’t that leave a sticky mess after a while? Surely the table mfg has posted some guidelines about this on their website.

Another preventative idea might be to put aluminum foil down on the exposed areas of the table.

+1 on the suggestion of using a HANDHELD (sharpening) stone. Those are very handy at restoring metal surfaces back to flat without damaging anything around them. Having said that, i would use it as a final pass after popping off the larger spots. You would need to buy 2 matching stones of low grit (~#240), alternate their use, and use them to return both stones back to flat before use.

Alex

1 Like

Langmuir doesn’t do tax-exempt sales on their web store so I reached out to them for an invoice. Shouldn’t take too long.

1 Like

Sweet so we are getting some modular fixture clamps for sure?

1 Like

Yep. They replied to confirm our shipping address; just waiting on an invoice to pay

1 Like

Ordered.

If anybody feels like they could use some machining practice, we could use piles of these guys too :slight_smile: None of them are terribly expensive, but it feels wrong somehow to buy a bunch of machined cylinders when we have a lathe and a collet chuck.

When are they due to arrive? They will be helpful when we join the arc flat tables.

In stock and shipping UPS ground, so I’d expect early to mid next week. Don’t have a tracking number yet.

This weekend I’ll try my hand at fabricating/machining these parts. Could you provide me with a mechanical drawing and stock???