Aquaponics Lobby Renovations

The area should be dry enough to turn the outlets back on.

The grow bed is separate from the stand, and the stand is separate from the sump.

The overhead light stand is attached to the stand but can be unscrewed.

The restraining wall around the sump is just 4 board screwed together and don’t attached to anything else.

The power is on and the pumps are running. The drain pipe on the IBC is secured to the cage and a hole was put into the PVC to break any siphon. I believe the plants would probably be fine with no pump running for a couple of weeks as long as the gravel didn’t get too dry. The fish would definitely start to suffer much sooner with no water flow. The ammonia from their waste would spike which is toxic to most life forms in relatively small concentrations.

The floor is being laid back down. It looks like the stuff that got wet may be reusable.

1 Like

I see great things in our future!

5 Likes

ooh, is that a Shaper Origin inlay?

All is well in the space again. Huge thanks to @LivingOnTheEdgeKupec for helping get this done tonight. Couldn’t have done it without him.
@dannym got creative and created the first laser inlay I’ve ever seen in laminate flooring, put your order in now folks.

P.s. nobody show @TravisGood until he comes back in March.

3 Likes

This is looking amazing, great work everybody.

Technically in aquaponics the plants will die in 4 hours if the pumps stop running and things go dry (general warning they use in books)

But in practice as long as their roots have access to water (AND AIR) and their temperature is stable they can last a good while. They did servive last years snowmegedan without to much trouble.

Right now our hydroton (gravel) is full of solids, essentially future dirt or pond muck. The plants would be happy in this for much longer than if they were in a clean system. It looks bad but smells organic like it should. Personally, I like the smell of funky pond water in a healthy biome. While digging around in the planter bed I have not encountered any ‘dead’ zones. These are pockets that don’t receive oxygen where anaerobic bacteria thrive and produce the super funky pond smell.

While digging through the hydroton you should be able to find some red wriggled.

I added a handful of worms 2 years ago.

As far as I know they’re still alive and happy. But they are hard to see since they dig away anytime you disturb the gravel.

Yeah it looks dirty and scummy, but that’s the sign of a healthy system lol.

James, Happy to have been able to help out… and even more happy at how it turned out!

1 Like

@beirdo The skinning of the fish tank is looking good, keep up the great work.

3 Likes