Anyone want to try out Shaper Plate?

@tomthm and I were chatting after the volunteers meeting the other day, and the topic of the Shaper Plate came up. If I’m not mistaken, Asmbly does not have a Plate, but I wanted to see if anyone was interested in seeing one in action and giving it a go? Not sure if Asmbly would be interested in getting one of their own for the space, but it’s a cool accessory that enables some pretty slick use cases for the Origin, so figured I’d offer to show it off.

1 Like

Oh and I backed the Shaper Trace kickstarter this morning, which is more for quickly going from a drawing or outline to an SVG that can be used in any design software or CNC/Laser/Vinyl/etc application. Happy to demo that as well when (if?) it comes in.

3 Likes

I would be interested in trying it out. Think it would be a pretty useful tool for repeatable things like engraving maker’s marks…

2 Likes

The Shaper Trace is going to be a big time saver for the items I typically cut. It’s a frame, with Shaper dominoes in it. Any hand drawn figure inside the frame can be (looks like easily) converted to an SVG. It will be available in the fall. There is a live demo tonight at 6:00 PM out time.

Did you get in on the Super Early Bird price @tomthm? I woke up at 1:30am or so and barely got in.

Did not make that one, so decided to wait till release and pay the difference. Trace will speed up producing almost everything I cut, so anxious the use it.

Worth noting that with Kickstarters people inevitably back out of their pledges, so there may be some super early birds that re-open. Looks like there are still a few $79 price points available if you wanted some discount.

1 Like

Definitely interested in the Shaper plate…auto pass too :slight_smile:

1 Like

@tomthm does the Asmbly Origin have auto pass? I have it on mine and can demo that too - I think it’s 100% worth the cost.

1 Like

David Disko proposed a chair project, with participation open to members. When we launch that, we’ll register for a three week free trial of auto pass. I feel certain it will be a convincing case study of airports passes value. For those who are familiar with the Shaper, using the auto pass feature will avoid having to set a new cut depth with each pass. Like to other CNCs, you can set the final depth of the cut, and Shaper will make the adjustment dynamically on each pass.

I’m not sure when this the project will start, so stay tuned for the official notice from David.

1 Like

@David curious to hear more

1 Like

I should get time to purchase the materials for the chair this week then have to mill those pieces down flat and to correct thickness. Wanted to get some other things out of the way first like the new bandsaw and some other Asmbly chores. Once the material is milled we can start the trial. Tommy and I will post a work schedule for the chair after we do a few test cuts.

BTW, I bought in to the Kickstarter on the Shaper Trace at $69 will let everyone know when it is in my hands.

2 Likes

Just got the reggie early bird Shaper Trace kickstarter for 79 usd. Lol. The last kickstarter I did was a dumpster fire not so nice. At one point they asked for extra shipping. I forget but it was a substantial amount. Never received a …thing. Just sayin’

1 Like

I always feel weird when established companies go through the Kickstarter route to release a product. I guess it builds hype, and may be a convenient way to gauge interest before making thousands of a product, but always rubbed me the wrong way. Oh well, this is one I’d be more likely to trust than most.

2 Likes

Agreed it feels weird. However, before Shaper was acquired by Festool, the original Origin was a kickstarter too, so it’s kinda in their blood. I’d guess since this is a standalone product, they’re trying to get the word out beyond the usual Shaper customer base.

2 Likes

I do patronize Crowd Supply quite a bit. It’s mostly electronic in nature. One of eight projects saw no activity with everyone getting full refunds. The others all gave outstanding results.

1 Like

Checked last night and the Shaper Trace has over $600k in funding.

1 Like

That’s around 7500-ish pledges. I wonder how that compares to the number of Shaper Origins in the wild, since the Trace is more broadly marketable.

1 Like