Any other HAMs at Asmbly?

Hey folks, I recently got into amateur (HAM) radio. Got my Technician and General licenses in the last month, and getting my ham shack setup for HF.

Any other Hams at Asmbly?

KJ5CFT

4 Likes

Ham here. Though I havenā€™t done much with it. I have some Motorola xpr7550 handhelds that I use every so often and an Icom 5100d in the truck.

I still want to do more just havenā€™t had the time.

N7LFG

1 Like

Nice! I also have the 5100 in my truck. Lots of features to get used to.

I have a Yaesu FT5DR handheld that Iā€™m not sure I like. Icomā€™s menu systems seem much more intuitive to me I guess. I may end up selling the Yaesu in favor of an Icom handheld.

I just picked up an Icom 705 that Iā€™m hoping to do some Parks On The Air (POTA) with.

1 Like

Iā€™m HAM-curious. assuming we donā€™t have a critical mass of radio amateurs at Asmbly, are there any other groups in town that do radio things?

1 Like

There are several amateur radio clubs in the area. The ARRL publishes a list of clubs they are affiliated with on their website: http://www.arrl.org/find-a-club

The ARRL list isnā€™t exhaustive, but itā€™s a good place to start.

Iā€™m going to the Williamson County Amateur Radio Club (WCARC) meeting Thursday, and eventually plan on checking out the Oak Hill Club.

Iā€™d also be happy to meet up and talk radio anytime, though Iā€™m still very new to it all and figuring things out myself.

1 Like

Iā€™m interested. I have a technician study book but havenā€™t finished it.

1 Like

I used HamStudy.org (the app, specifically) to study for the Tech and General. I was personally more interested in getting the licensing out of the way and learning by doing than I was of learning everything before getting licensed, so HamStudy was great for that.

2 Likes

I got excited for you HAM enthusiasts when I saw this banner but got home and realized one too many Aā€™s

3 Likes

I signed up. I have some cheap crap, equipment but I am officially part of the Austin HAM group.

73 DE KC2KOA. ā† Discourse would not let me post just this, ha.

Nice, so there are some other hams here!

Iā€™m headed to Caddo Lake State Park tours weekend and taking along my new-to-me ICOM IC-705 to hopefully activate the park on Parks On The Air. Itā€™ll be my first HF contacts, and hopefully my first POTA activation.

Iā€™m also currently 3D printing some parts to build a couple of loading coils for a DIY version of the Wolf River Coils vertical antenna:

@0xKruzr are you a CW operator?

4 Likes