Anchoring to metal studs

I have a client that wants to hang a ton of apparel in a commercial space on some type of metal clothing rails with shelving, and i realized i’ve never hung anything off of a steel stud before.

Ive been told both self tapping metal screws will be fine, and i’ve also been told i have to get behind the drywall and essentially hang wood studs off the metal, so i’m not feeling super confident here.

looking to see if anyone can point me in the right direction of correctly mounting a good amount of weight on a wall in a commercial construction.

the largest wall is approx 30’ long, and a smaller one around 15’
both walls will likely have two tiers of rail, with a shelf above the top rail, separated into ~5ft sections

the clothes are sitting on similar rolling racks now and each one is probably 50lb+ in just clothing, and there are 11 of them that need to make their way into this space. Im guesstimating every ~5ft will be holding 1-200lb including hardware

2 Likes

Toggle bolts in metal studs are super strong.

2 Likes

Exactly what Jon said. These leave a nut in the wall that is reusable. Amazon

2 Likes

Nice thanks guys, I initially thought about toggles, but I wasn’t sure if there was something else I should be doing