Advice for repairing a ceramic coaster?

Anyone have experience repairing soft-ish ceramics? I dropped my Mount Rainier coaster on the floor and cracked it. It’s a kitschy gift shop coaster, but one of the rare examples of that archetype that I actually like – and of course I have very fond memories of a magical weekend we spent on the shoulders of Rainier.

It is a fairly porous, soft “stoneware” kind of material. Hoping I can glue it together well enough that it at least stays in one piece during normal usage.

Any tips on cleaning the surface gunk off a bit without destroying the print would also be appreciated. I’m guessing it is some sticky buildup that caused it to stick to my drink in the first place and caused the damage.

Aw man! Such a bummer when you break meaningful things.

I’ve had pretty good luck with epoxy glues for stuff like this.

Hmm, I guess I’m not exactly sure what you mean by “epoxy glue”… When I think of epoxy adhesive, I’m generally using the thick high viscosity stuff from Home Lowes Depot. Could work, but seems maybe hard to work with for this?

Any favorite brands/types you’ve used?

I have an espresso demitasse handle that I repaired with 5 Minute epoxy. It survives the dishwasher, though I remind people not to put it through that… Anyway, one of the dual syringe epoxies at Home Depot et al.

Any thoughts on cleaning the surface? The image appears to be some sort of inkjet print but I have no idea what kind of ink.

I guess it is obviously not water-soluble now that I think about it a little. :crazy_face:

I’ve used a Locktite syringe-style quick set epoxy, although I don’t have any specific brand affinity. It is quite thick, and so after I mix it up, I use toothpick to put as thin a layer as I can manage.

As it will have to lie flat as it sets, you might consider an appropriate surface for it during this time. I assume parchment paper would work, but probably do a test first.

2 Likes