A tool storage solution

Because a few of you (most vocally @stepho :smiley:) liked the leatherwork tool storage solution I put together, I’m posting it for a broader audience. It works pretty well, especially when you’re hauling them back and forth from a small space to Asmbly (which is my exact case).

The overall concept is pretty simple: shallow lasercut trays which stack (tray handles are the supports) into a tool box from Harbor Freight:

The trays themselves are extremely simple and one of my first attempts at using the laser, made using 1/8" plywood from Lowes.

The tools are arranged roughly by categories, in this case those were edge finishing, cutting, and stitching. I decided on a tool layout and stapled wide elastic from Michaels to the tray bottoms:

I did get a little fancy on a couple of the trays, where the bottom is a double layer of plywood with the top layer having cutouts for specific tools. For example, I wanted to make sure that the stitching chisels don’t move around so I made cutouts in the top plywood layer and engraved the tool numbers/specs in the bottom layer:

Similarly, I cut out spaces for the bottles of consumables I tend to use:

The trays stack into the box and are pretty secure for general transport:

I have a second box from the same system, needed for a few additional/bulkier tools. It’s shallower but it also includes dividers (as do the big boxes, I just didn’t need them there) plus a few plastic bins that I used for smaller tools like punches, dies, etc. – you can see them on the right of the box:

And like most other tool boxes, they stack and lock together:

Hope this gives someone an idea or two on how to wrangle our many bits and bobs. Happy to answer any questions!

5 Likes

Nice work and nice solution! Kudos!

1 Like

And as beautiful as these photos are, watching it so nicely pack up just adds an extra layer of perfection. Aspirational tool storage, for sure.

1 Like