Problem Type: Equipment
Workspace: Woodshop
Asset: ---------- Wood Shop ----------
Summary: New crosscut sleds needed
Additional Info: The current crosscut sleds are wonky, wobble in their tracks, and have gaps where offcuts can pinch and shoot through the front. Recommended features: safety handles and track stops to prevent cutting through the front. Open to suggestions.
Report generated from a filing. This report has also been sent to Asmbly staff, leadership, and space leads with any contact info that was provided. Provide additional photos or resources here to help. When the problem is resolved, ensure it is marked.
Cross cut sleds sure are wonderful. They’ve been here a while. If nobody has made one, this is a great project to take on. I made an extremely elaborate one for my garage shop a few years ago and it changed the way I worked and made things much safer in the process.
I would not work too hard to “stop cutting through the front”. Depending on the piece that needs to be cut, and usually in my projects, I want that through cut so I know it was a clean cut and not leaving any strands hanging.
I would like to amend my statement. In 2026 I’m not interested in an elaborate sled. If we design and evolve to an elaborate sled over time I would be interested in helping.
The current general purpose sled was a work of art when it was first built. Which was completely the wrong thing for a community shop whose users have a huge range of experience.
We need something that is simple and easy to keep square. It would be nice to have a single-sided sled, which allows you to use the fence as a measurement reference, as well as a double-sided one.