6" Rotary Table For Mill

@Jon @mgmoore @mkmiller6 @JoeN

Hi guys, I have a round part with some milled out features that to my knowledge can only be milled out using a rotary table with a mounting plate that takes ER collets. I found one that would fit our 6" rotary table on the Tormach website ( 33285 - ER32 Collet Fixture for 6 Inch Rotary Tables (tormach.com)) and I was wondering if we could buy one for the metal shop.

Wait, we have a rotary table?

Here is a picture of the features that I’d like to cut using this fixture plate and the rotary table:

Its a slot cut through the wall of an aluminum tube axially followed by a radial sweep and then another axial cut back towards the starting end. My thinking is that I can mount the stock in the ER32 collet fixture and run the mill into my part axially then use the rotary table to make the radial cut and then finish by moving the mills ways back towards the starting end. I’m not sure if the collets that the Tormach are already of the ER32 variety but if they are great no need to buy more if not then If this part can be founded then we will also need to buy a set of collets which we can also purchase from Tormach here: Metric ER32 Collet Set (12 Pcs.) for about $215.

Yes we have a 6" rotary table. This is its manual:

and here is the actual rotary table:

We have to keep in mind workholding systems across the shop. We’ve already started buying 5C collets for the lathe and mill; I don’t want to wind up with Imperial in 5C and metric in ER32.

Is there any reason you couldn’t use something like 31414 - 5C Collet Fixture for 6 in. Rotary Table instead of the ER32 chuck?

What’s the diameter of your workpiece? We don’t have a metric 5C set yet but I’d rather get one of those so it can be used in both the mill and lathe.

Actually your recommendation is cheaper than what I was originally asking for this will work for my part! Can we invest in the 5C collet fixture for our 6" rotary table please?

The diameter of my part is 10.5 mm but that isnt a critical dimension and I really should redesign to fit a standard sized collet. So, if we bought the fixture plate I could just turn down a new part with a diameter that would fit one of our 5C collets.

1 Like

Ordered.

Right now the only collets we have are Imperial by 16ths. let me know when we need more variety. I have metric by 1mm and <1/2" by 32nds on the wishlist but not in any particular hurry unless somebody needs them for something.

2 Likes

Thank you so much! Now I’ll be able to finish my project :slight_smile:

1 Like

Tracking shows the new collet fixture was delivered by UPS about an hour ago.

1 Like