Want to learn how to make this leather card holder?

Sure! I’m sure there’s a better way to share, but here’s the link, I’ll keep it on there until the end of Feb.

2 Likes

Thanks for sharing your photos and videos @OctopusDream – you two just knocked it out of the park with your wallets :smiley:

1 Like

That’s because the class was filled with killer demonstrations :smiley: Thanks again @Branislav for the awesome class!

3 Likes

Thank you Alex for posting the pictures…I had a great time and meeting you and your lovely wife was a awesome bonus.

@Branislav @stepho This morning I was looking to see where the granite slab and/or the mat we used beneath the leather when we punched the stitching lines. I didn’t see either so I’m thinking it’s your personal items? What is the name of the mat? And is this something we can add to the sewing room for members?

Michael

@Glory2God, the granite and poundo board are somewhat hidden should be on top of the black tool cabinet that sites under the leather tool table. Just roll out the cabinet and you should see them.

They’re admittedly a bit hidden from sight but purely because that’s where they fit best. We might need to add some signage for that.

1 Like

This is really our first true outing for a lot of our leatherworking supplies, so I welcome ideas on how to iterate that space to improve it for users

2 Likes

Well it’s good thing it doesn’t have teeth because I looked in that tool chests drawers to see if there was any thread to practice the saddle stitch. It never occurred to me to look there :man_shrugging:t3::man_facepalming:t3::man_facepalming:t3::man_facepalming:t3:
Thank you Branislav

As someone completely new to leather (:flushed::astonished: not that kind thank you very much) @Branislav @alex11 has truly inspired me to give it a go. After the class, Branislav was showing me the tools Asmbly has purchased. While some are self evident in their use and function, the others are not.

Perhaps we consider a “leather” orientation class that teaches the tools, supplies and machines uses and their safe operation. This would include a tour of where items are stored and how to replace “consumables” that we use (eg rivets, snaps, buttons).

This is my quick thinking out loud comments.

All reasonable ideas. This is very much an iterate as we go. Since I don’t use the leather tools, I’m relying on those with expertise to help us along the way.

There is also a new member that @David met who is a very experienced leather worker, and wants to give classes!

1 Like

For those of you who were interested in Leather Tooling with Julian, here is the link for this event!

One of Austin’s best story tellers and leather working extraordinaries, Julian is an absolute delight to learn from and work with, I highly recommend!

@Branislav @alex11 @SteveW @OctopusDream

3 Likes

Thanks @ashleyrlee – signed up! Think I’ll use one of the leftover pieces from the cardholder class to decorate for the next version.

That’s awesome! I’m really looking forward to introducing the two of you! It’s going to be a great class.

1 Like

@Branislav I’m working on stitching up my card holder and came up very short on thread—I only got two stitches around the first corner.

Can I please get another length of the black thread? And how do I tie in the new thread into the existing one?

Please let me know if this is possible, and thank you,
Michael

Hi Michael – of course, happy to help you finish that up. There are a couple of different ways of splicing a new run of thread into the stitch, but this is probably the simplest:

I can leave more thread for you on the “up for grabs” shelf in the multi-purpose room, along with the thread zapper shown the video if you don’t have one (or don’t feel like playing with a lighter). Just let me know what thread colour you ended up using – I’ll be in the shop tomorrow evening and can leave it then.

Thank you @Branislav that video was easy to follow. After watching it I realized how I came up short on my thread. Such a dumb rookie mistake :man_facepalming:t3::man_facepalming:t3::man_facepalming:t3::man_facepalming:t3::man_facepalming:t3:

I’m using the black thread and truly appreciate your willingness to leave me some thread. I’ll stop in tomorrow night. Thank you again

Sure thing – there’s a Ziploc bag on the Lost & Found shelf with your name on it. The thread zapper is included if you’d like to give that a try :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thank you @Branislav I left the items in the same bag with your name on it on the lost & found shelf plus a fun little thank you item.
Much

1 Like

My pleasure! And thank you so much, I’ll be in the shop to pick it up probably tomorrow or Friday :smiley: