Urgent job opportunity: Custom Lamborghini Belt Buckle for a movie

For lost wax resin printing you’d need a special kind of resin, which means minimum 2 days to get it shipped to me. Lost PLA can work but you’ll lose out on detail. I’m not equipped or trained to create the investments or run a forge so you’d be on your own in that respect.

There is a small resin printer at the space and also some more expensive ones using an older technology. These results aren’t particularly remarkable for resin 3D printing. These were just pre-supported models I got from someone’s Patreon. Mostly I design and print dice which I could definitely do a class on. I’m actually going to do a whole series of classes on mold making and casting with various materials as soon as the fiber laser is out of the clean room so we can get it set up, since the board has decided not to allow such things in the multipurpose room.

1 Like

I was wondering if all we need is achieve a metal look, can we resin print the whole part then paint it black for the black background followed by a brush on electroplating on the gold part.

The other option i could think of is resin print the gold part and the black part be separately then electroplate them. The gold part is easy. The black part can be printed black or painted matt black or probably can be electroplated with black oxide (not sure about the last part).

The customer is looking for a real-deal metal belt buckle, but plastic could be a good plan B if we can’t figure that out (I’m confident we can find a custom metal solution)

I reached out to a custom jeweler who makes custom gold name plates, chains etc. and they may be able to build using steel. I’ll find out their capabilities soon.

EDIT: the customer informed me that they will be doing a give-away of the belt - so, it must be high quality

Lost cast is a good option if you have experience (a silicon bronze alloy will give best look. ) I don’t have time this week to do but have done it a fair amount. If you haven’t done before I wouldn’t recommend this option.

My suggestion then is just to cnc machine it out of a chunk of brass or similar metal to get desired look. Probably on the IQ not tormach due to higher available spindle speeds.

Or get jeweler to make. (Ideal)

1 Like