Small bits / parts organization

I’ve put a total weight gain limit of 100# to the total cost of this project 'o)

Speaking of… where should we put these ice cream containers at ATX?

Talenti Ice Cream containers… If it’s not too much out of the way I’d say on top of the fridge in the lounge. Everybody has access and it’s out of the way - I think. Or they could also go under the table case where the Grandpa’s GAS is. Once people see a few it might remind them to get 'em if they’re in their car? Either place

steel drawers

Eric P and other board members:

I’m not sure of the protocol here but the proposal on the table with more than a few people chiming in is to reorganize the tool wall. Danny M. suggested Slatwall which is fine but not the thrust of my initial proposal which was to eliminate the pretty much unused drawers of misc hardware.

I was building on Danny’s input but I don’t really have a dog in that hunt - reorganizing the tool wall - but I think it deserves our attention. I was focused on the small bit of creating shelving for clear plastic jars to store small bits so it’s all easier to find what you’re looking for.

The protocol issue is about purchasing some small plastic jars, building some shelving and sticking them on the wall where appropriate.

I’m not informed is there is an approval process for the purchases noted but it’s probably under $100 for the jars plus donations of Talenti gelato jars. It appears material IS available to build the shelves in the vertical storage area.

What’s needed to get some jars from Amazon?

@David78737 I just haven’t had time to look over what you sent you I’ll see if I can get to it later tonight, if you want to start smaller highlight the important items on the list you sent me.

Eric

@ Eric P

I don’t want to get ahead of our skis here. It’s been pointed out that there is a supply of plywood available at the space available for shelving. Real estate on the tool wall is too valuable for screws and nails at this moment and these shelves can be stuck up on walls easily enough until we get the overall concept sorted and defined. Eric you mentioned the cleat system and that is easy and cheap. Moreover it can easily be redone with the slatwall mounting plates.

Be mindful that the slatwall comes in strips 96 inches long in PVC and can be mounted as a wall or spaced out - less aesthetic but just as useful.

To get the spacing and layout right I would prioritize the

1. mounting plates (25 each pkg)
2. 4 oz jars (6 pkgs of 12) and
3. 8 oz jars (6 pkgs of 9)

while we accumulate the Talenti 16 oz. jars.

That total is under $250.

If you want to kick in another $250 for slatwall that would be useful - the mounting plates will not work on pegboard.

Allow me to put in a vote overall for “toss” on the small hardware.

Hardware storage (read: hoarding) is useful when you are willing to mutate the project to what you have on hand. That describes most of us in our house or garage and keeping excess stuff is somewhat useful.

When you come to the space, you’ve probably mostly got a plan and supplies and are not going to alter that plan much based upon what random material is in the space. So, we’re talking about trying to store screws, nails, nuts, etc. for people who accidentally have an emergency need for them. That’s not good use of space, in my opinion.

The only things I would consider storing should be either 1) generally useful but difficult/slow to obtain or 2) associated with repairing/using the actual hackerspace equipment.

As for racking the hand tools, I’ll leave that decision up to someone who uses them a lot more than I do.

Wall real estate is vital but shelves also have to go somewhere and that’s usually against a wall. why not incorporate something such as this minus the database program he creates at the end. The parts cabinet part are only 14.99 from harbor freight

and the lumber and wheels to build it would be exponentially lower than $250 plus it could ideally be freestanding in the current area where the smaller parts bins are in the workshop near the band saws.

Hi Gregory. I am open to suggestions on this project.

My interests include keeping small bits free of dust that permeates everything at the HS.

Second, finding stuff fast. To me, at least my preference, is that I can sort stuff in my brain faster than I can read labels. I am dyslexic, but it’s more about reading someone else’s scrawl quickly. I can sort through stuff visually faster than I can read.

The last bit is keeping stuff sorted. By that I mean that drawers quickly become a jumble of odd bits and nibbles in my experience. If it’s too troublesome to find the precisely appropriate location, stuff will just get tossed in if is “close” like “shiny” or “round” or “has threads” regardless if it’s machine threads for #10 or 3/16" machine screws. And nobody wants to sort through that stuff.

To other concerns about accumulating too much stuff. I figure the usual suspect will have all their bits and not need anything. But it’s the “one thing” that’s missing or short one or two.

Drywall screws are a common go to fastener. I’d want to keep an assortment of those around cuz they fill so many needs.

1 Like

just wanted to upload some photos asking a question…

There is some drawer sides stock near the rear entrance. No name, no indication if people were abandoning it or whatever.

This would be useful for shelves for small parts unless there’s a better use for it or someone is picking it up.

These are the remaining drawers

I have drawer blanks at the back. My name was on them, and they were at the other end of the shelving by the long stock. Either those are someone else’s, or mine were moved, and the label removed.

Charley

I will assume they belong to you

Those drawers you removed could be better suited for the electronics lab since it has so many small parts that still need sorting

they are up for grabs by any section of the space.

I check out the drawer-side material. Mine are where they are supposed to be, along with my label. I don’t know whose those are closer to the door. Nice drawer stock though…

found some photos of my old drill bit organizer i had mentioned earlier, figured id share them

1 Like

The storm and remediation work put a halt to my work on the shelving. Will get back on it ASAP.

I’m still very slowly eating my Talenti :joy: