(resolved) Dorian and Tarkin down -- blown circuit breaker, maybe?

Hello, all
Dorian shut off mid-cut. At the same instance, the chiller and air compressor also stopped. Tarkin (which was off) would not turn on, and its accessories were also down, although Tarkin’s chiller seems to still have power.

All extension cords are in place. Nothing out of the ordinary, except turned on a vacuum to clean up.

I looked for a panel to reset the circuit breaker. The panel in the lounge had a note saying “do not open” so I decided not to mess with it.

This occurred at about 8:05 PM Tuesday July 19th.

I will be in the workshop for a while if there is something you want me to do.

Respectfully,

Louis Fuka

All of those things are on different circuits, so the problem is going to be more than a blown breaker.

Did the lights stay on? Sounds like the 306 service might’ve lost a phase?

The lights stayed on. The computers for Dorian and Tarkin lost power.

The computer for the blue universal laser in the corner is on.

Mystery for the most part is solved. I didn’t realize / forgot that Dorian and Tarkin both have 120V accessory cords in addition to their 240V main laser circuits. Both of those, their PCs, air compressors, and Dorian’s chiller are all plugged into 120V outlets on the back wall of the laser room.

The tripped breaker was a 240V labeled “CRCW OUT”. My working hypothesis is somebody ran new circuits on that wall between the laser room (“ClassRoom”) and textiles (“CoWorking”) with a shared neutral to save some copper and correctly used a 240V breaker for the pair.

At workday we should probably look at flipping some of those Textiles outlets around so we have more 120V capacity in the laser room.

1 Like

Thank you for your help!