[Resolved] Alert for woodshop users! Table saw use Sunday - Tuesday

I don’t know the details of the recent incidents, but we do spend quite a bit of time in the Woodshop Safety class on proper table saw use, including an emphasis on push blocks and push sticks. We go over the brake system and other things that will set it off such as metal, pressure treated wood, wet wood, and laser cut charring.

I’m sure we’ve had at least a suspected real-skin trip before, because I remember @dannym posting about the free replacement brake from Sawstop :slight_smile:

As I recall, Danny’s posting was in response to an unknown trip. The recent skin contact trips are the first that I ever recall. Startling that we have gone years without a skin trip, as far as we know, and then there are a couple within days.
But that doesn’t put everything in to question. We have had a lot of new members recently. I believe that at least one of these was a newer member. Can we do something better to prevent more trips? I think that understanding each event, and making sure that we cover those in our classes can help. We do focus on safety. Because the Sawstop essentially prevents blade injuries, we emphasize kick back prevention. This remains the main potential for injury on the saw. If lack of push sticks is a contributing issue, then we need to point that out. It’s not a far stretch that someone would just as likely not use paddles on the router. The router will not be forgiving.

3 Likes

The Sawstop does not know weather is the person’s first cut or many of a thousand. So you should not isolate to “newbies” or inexperienced persons. With 39 years of experience I activated the machine six months ago, the scrap piece I was recycling had a brad imbeded in it. Im glad the Sawstop does its job (weather is false or true) even if it happens every day mainly because I dont like people getting hurt. Unless there is a pattern, you should not point fingers to the person(s) giving the safety classes. Their objective is to familiarize people with the operation of the equipment and general safety of the shop not to keep people from having accidents. Murphy is always present so things will happen that’s why they are called Accidents. Yes when you look at them using your personal experience, can be preventable but at the time that it happened to the other person, the harmful events where not foreseeable by them otherwise it would not have happened. Pushsticks are great but only if they are used. My best suggestion is to keep them (more than one) on the table saw or “handy” not tucked away from the table saw. Their presence more than likely will induce people to use them. In my humble experience the homemade ones with a handle made out of plywood are best. The plastic kind many times jerk when they come in contact with the blade. Im not too fond of the Gripper mainly because of the price tag and I would much rather run my hand on the side of the blade than on top but im too used to the handle wooden kind so this opinion is biased.

1 Like

That’s what I get for answering something complicated on my phone. My point wasn’t to single out new users. However, we do have a lot of new users and a rash of sawstop trips. Correlation, not causation. Still, it is worthwhile to look at the events and ask ourselves if there is something that we are missing, because we are worried about injuries. We have put a lot of thought into the safety class, and are convinced that all of this is well covered, as discussed above. Given the current events, taking another look is not a bad idea. As you say, Murphy is alive and well. But events like this also tend to be more common with less experience, even nails and staples, laser carbon, etc… It’s also possible that this is just a random wave. @JOSEGAYTAN You bring a great point of easier access to push sticks, etc… A small cart or shelf at the saw, or on wheels, like the clamp cart, might be helpful. The inserts and other table saw accessories could all be put on that, in plain view and easy access.

i had an idea to build a tilting panel cart / infeed table on wheels that could house some storage underneath, but it would probably be a better project for someone that can weld. i was essentially gonna remake the rockler one but with laminated plywood similar to the MFTs

I like the idea of having push blocks etc readily accessible. Perhaps a storage tray that attaches to the fence? It would put the primary safety devices right in front of people and not take up space on the wing since it slides back and forth with the fence. It could be attached with Magswitches so that it can be easily removed when a fence jig is used.

4 Likes

You can tell people every safety tip in the world but chances are still high they will do at least one unsafe thing until someone reminds them. I have reminded people to use push sticks. I have reminded people featherboards exist. Once they get the reminder, they usually realize that it’s not harder to do right and will do it from then on. There is a lot to go over in woodshop safety class.

3 Likes

The delivery of new blades arrived today as expected, so everything is back to normal operating procedures here.

4 Likes

re: fence caddy for pushsticks and whatnots

ideally i would laser in labels, and magswitches to keep it secure

also realized we can cnc/laser some pushsticks and not care if they get chewed up so i made a file for that:

4 Likes

Someone here said that the char left pieces after laser cutting can be conductive, and as a result lead to brake triggering. @dannym @Jon ?

It might only be an issue if you have the char on the table at the same time that it comes in contact with the blade? Either way it should be just as quick to cut them on the CNC.

1 Like

yeah pretty sure that can be a thing. i was just gonna make them on the cnc anyway, i didnt want to clean off all the burns on the handle

1 Like

That’s correct. Char isn’t universally bad but it’s definitely risky. How much is too much is pretty variable so it’s safest to avoid altogether.