Resin _ Printing

Ah OK. I was under the impression it was a bigger deal. Thanks for the clarification @Devmani!

I suspect the bigger issue is simply that the use cases for the resin printers are different.

1. The resin printers have fewer “on the web” problems/solutions. If you are using the resin printer, you’re probably also using Fusion 360 or Solidworks. Whereas, the filament printers have all manner of nifty little “Download this and print” all over the place. Most of the members seem pretty cost sensitive, so Fusion 360 really isn’t in scope.

2. You use a resin printer when you care about accuracy and/or finish. Unfortunately, no open flames and no kiln means no figures, jewelry, etc. which would enter that regime. Printing a negative and then creating a lost wax positive is something that would want higher accuracy than filament printing, but those aren’t in scope of our current space.

3. The “general” resin is probably suboptimal. We should probably go for one of the resins that is “high-something”–high temp, high toughness, or high accuracy. However, some of those have a “post-cure” step and we don’t have those pieces of equipment.

4. Like so many things in a hackerspace, if you want good results, you probably have to own some of your own tooling. I have had to increase the height of the deadzone in my prints because the current platform seems to be … “worn out?” … Breaking my prints loose from it and then cleaning it properly seems to take way longer than on the one our business has. I probably need to buy a build platform for my own stuff.

To me, the resin printers are what you use to “get it done” whereas the filament printers are something that you “dork around with”. Consequently, usage partly reflects the space–people are more hobbyists than production and simply don’t need the extra accuracy and surface finish improvement.

1. Fusion360 is free to makers, also just about anything that can be made on FDM can be made with a resin printer. Resin printing is almost equal to cost to FDM (outside of the clean up)

2. Resin printing is mostly figures so I’m not sure what you mean about Klin or flames as those are not necessary as the resin is cured via UV light.

3. General Resin is actually really good depending on the brand and the cost of ABS like resin isn’t much of a difference in cost compared to stock resin. (engineering resin is 40 bucks a liter)

4. I feel that in the hacking space it’s a place for people to experience the tools before going all in or if they are unable to afford the total setup or space.

Resin printing is for sure is hitting an itch with hobbyists specifically miniatures and prop/cosplay. That being said i think the shop is a great place for people to see if this is something to get into .

1 Like