[NPO Tools] - Storage upgrades

Sorry, I wasn’t suggesting the Packout stuff for the space. That stuff is cool but it is pretty expensive. I have it because I’m rolling a lot of tooling back and forth (both machine room and electronics room) that doesn’t really want to bang off of one another. I had a much cheaper equivalent and found that I tended to overload it and break it. The Packout stuff does better for someone who abuses it.

And an access door with a camera is likely more than sufficient. Someone determined is going to be able to steal stuff, but according to the long timers that just hasn’t been a problem historically so there’s no point in complicating things.

@valerie I like your idea to have sewing loft open and accessed by keyfob. If we figure out how many squarefeet are up there you could set a price per squarefoot and let people pay for the amount of space they need, then use something like painters tape to section off each person’s area. Would that work?

@dash3811 I’m one of the people who asked for storage lockers to be big enough for wood. I have two jigs that fit on the CNC bed that are each 2x4ft and 6ish inches tall, plus other jigs that would go with the tools I store at hackerspace.

I think that would work great! I really like the simplicity of this approach.

I took a look at the loft today and there’s not much there. I think we could move everything up there over to the left side of the loft and get the right side ready for storage.

There’s a big panel of plywood in the scrap bin that could fill the open space in the loft paneling, behind the bat. I could spend some time this weekend getting the space cleared out if no one objects.

1 Like

Would it be easier to move the things from the loft to the classroom so that way equipment isn’t just being shuffled around and is actually only being moved the minimum number of times needed? Not asking you Mollie this is clearly a question for the powers that be. @ericp @valerie

Also i think that plywood you are speaking of is 1/4" which if it is would be the missing piece for the back of the cabinet and if you were wanting to use it I’ll trade you a sheet of 1/2" for the sheet of 1/4".

I’m guessing it would be easier for those working on it to move it from one side of the loft to the other, but if we are talking the sewing equipment yes it will ultimately need to move to the classroom. There’s a bit a prep work for the classroom that will need to happen so it might actually be best to keep it in the other side of the loft for the moment.

Yep that sounds good,

Eric

One thing that came up when I was talking to James yesterday was:

“Could we put tape on the floor, bolt some truck tie-down points to the floor and point a camera at it for starters?”

That would allow people to simply run a locked cable through their stuff.

Tape and some tie-down points are cheap, quick, and would allow people to start throwing money at you.

Sure, you could always unbolt the tiedowns, but whoever would be on camera doing that. The goal here isn’t to prevent concerted theft, it’s just to prevent things from randomly walking around or inadvertantly getting tossed.

We’ll definitely want a lock on the door so that we can issue keys to people who have paid to rent the space, but I don’t see any problem with the floor bolts as well if people want that added security.

I think the point was there are some potential storage customers who don’t think the lack of a door is a dealbreaker? It’s going to be at least a month before we have a new access control system installed.

Yeah, my point was that a lack of door is not a dealbreaker for someone like me. I think other people may be in the same boat. This allows people to throw money at you that you could earmark to help upgrade that section.

And, given that he snarked me about about optimism before:

@Jon: I admire your scheduling optimism, and I am currently laughing with you and not at you. Mostly. :laughing:

2 Likes

Hey everyone! We posted a survey in a separate thread to get more information about storage needs. Thoguht I’d post it here as well in case anyone missed it.

Half of the sewing loft is nearly ready for storage, but the info on this survey will help the space better understand storage needs in general as they go through and reorganize the space set up.

2 Likes