MCOR Iris 300A 3D Printer for sale on Swico

Well, if this thing has been sitting for any amount of time, the printhead is clogged and needs to be replaced. Epson’s are notoriously bad for getting clogged if you don’t use them every day. There is a tungsten carbide cutter that probably also needs to be replaced. Anything involving glue probably has hardened and needs to be replaced.

If the space is going to buy this, someone needs to sign up for getting it in, getting it working in a reasonable amount of time (less than 30 days or it will lose momentum), keeping it working (probably a daily print to keep the heads unclogged which has a carrying cost), and running a class once every 4 weeks for people.

We already have a scattering of projects around the space (the little CNC, the fiber laser, a disassembled milling machine, etc) that really need to be driven to completion. This, of course, would be less of an issue if we were 4x the space, but we’re currently not (that may change if the board finds a bigger space).

Oddly, I think the most interesting thing about this isn’t the color printing, per se, it’s the fact that it can glue together colored paper and cut it to shape. I think that’s less problematic and probably has more utility for people.

And, I suspect the biggest obstacle to this probably isn’t the hardware, which we can probably get working with enough persistence. The software is probably worthless and will be a huge obstacle for people not technically inclined. It needs to print alignment marks and other things for the glue stage so it’s all pretty tied together and won’t be easy to improve.

The prices you are seeing now have very little to do with the final selling prices. Remember that this is an auction. Most bidders at these UT auctions do not get serious until the last hour before the auction ends.

I visited the warehouse to see some other things in this auction and noticed this item. It looks very impressive just sitting there. I couldn’t imagine how it might have functioned in real use until I read this discussion.

So the company responded. The glue in a 1 litre bottle is 83.33 euros= $98.87. The cutting blade is 50.00 euros=$59.32. They weren’t specific on where to get the ink so I responded by asking which company would we need to purchase it from and the cost.

2 Likes