Free Demos for Laser and CNC

Hello All,

As discussed in last weekends CNC Sig meeting, we will be hosting a free demo day this Saturday 12/9 starting at 10am.

The demos will consist of short presentations on subjects we’ve heard interest in. The idea is to show you techniques to help in your making ventures. After the demos, we will take a quick poll to gauge interest in these topics. From these results we will schedule classes on the topics that will cover the topics in more details. With the exception of Mozaik, the classes will likely be free or donation based.

This demonstration is free of charge and open to anyone. We will have a cross promotion with Lasers, so invite your laser friends along. We hope to see members from the Laser community as CNC and Lasers share similarities in their digital tools.

The topics we are covering this weekend:

CNC Inlays- using VCarve to create sharp inlays in wood with multiple materials. This technique can give you amazing results with not a to of extended setup. We’ve actually had this class in the past, and hope to see new interest in it.

Laser Marquetry- using digital tools to create amazing pieces with multiple materials. With the vast array of veneers available today, this process can yield truly unique results.

Jigs and Dogholes- Both CNC machines now have dogholes in the spoilboards, and will show you how to use that during your design work to speed production. We’ll also discuss using jigs on the CNC machines.

Mozaik- Mozaik is a powerful cabinet making software available for free at Asmbly. After setting up initial product libraries, designing and cutting cabinets out goes pretty quickly. Toolpaths are generated in a unique way, and takes most guess work away.

VCarve 11.5 Makerspace Edition- VCarve recently released an update to the Makerspace edition. Most notably cloud based work and tool databes. The licensing model is different now and we’ll cover the changes.

I’ve attached some examples photos.

Hope to see lots of you there! Feel free to reach out with any questions.

Than

8E495D09-6DE5-4293-A6B5-C578E169B7F9_1_201_a
03F4EEE4-505E-4A25-B867-1AE8ED3F2853_4_5005_c
ks

3 Likes

This sounds so awesome - got a kid’s swim meet or I’d go for sure. Inlay work is my next area of interest, I think

Does one need to be a member to attend this? Mine just expired and I head back to Minnesota Sunday so it doesn’t make sense to renew right now.

You don’t have to be a member.

2 Likes

And afterwards, y’all can come over to Canopy for lunch and holiday market!

1 Like