CNC ready for surfacing again

Here is a one page guide that will be posted near the CNC to help extend the life of the spoilboard. I can make edits, just let me know what you’d like changed. @dannym @JoeN

2 Likes

Looks great to me!!

The sheet is fine, but… I think that there should be a simple sign on the machine. "No steel nails. No drywall screws. " People who don’t follow instructions won’t stop to read the instructions.

Now that I have a little time, I wanted to add a little more commentary. My first response was a little short. @Mollie, the instruction sheet is great, and will be a good reminder / refresher to have on hand at the CNC.

My follow on point was that some people are not going to refresh their knowledge, because they are in a rush, or feel that they are in a rush. They think that they know what to do. When in a rush, they may reach for a nail gun. “It’s only a couple of small nails…”. Or they may reach for a drywall screw, or any old Phillips head screw. It’s those one or two people who don’t think the situation out.

I believe in multiple levels of material. The full class, a written copy of complete class material, a reminder or “cheat sheet”, and a few basic warnings, at the work location.
One sign, big letters, few words, right at the edge of the table. “No steel nails. No Drywall Screws”. More detailed instruction can be at the workstation. I will bet you, the folks nailing into the table, or using cheap screws are not reviewing any material before they start. They don’t mean to cause a problem, but taking shortcuts can cause problems.

1 Like

If a screw is broken in the table, it’s supposed to be marked via a circle in Sharpie on the bed itself. If it’s successfully removed we X the circle. The Sharpie will disappear once resurfaced.

Also it will be helpful if the location of the foreign steel is reported in MACHINE coordinates, as per the “MC” on the MPG pendant.

@Mollie, I love your Save the Spoilboard sign. It’s clear and I think covers most common cases.

One suggestion, though: the last point says “If you are unable to remove it, post in the forum.” That is a good step, but I’m thinking that a hard metal object somewhere in the board should be treated a bit more urgently?

I mean, we could declare a policy that a spoilboard safety hazard warrants direct to red tag. That feels a bit overkill, though. We don’t have a concept like “yellow tag”, do we? That would be something we could turn into a physical sign on the machine.

Also, I wonder if emailing the more-limited workshop team might have better chance of notifying the right people in a timely manner?

I think at a minimum we should have a standard way to mark hazards until they can be remedied, such as the sharpie circle method that Danny suggested in this thread.

It would be very unlikely that a single steel screw would be hit by a member’s job any time in the near future (except for that corner one).

However, when resurfacing, the resurfacing bit is guaranteed to hit it, which often damages the bit.

It damages the carbide cutters which changes the cut height. It make the table slightly higher post a screw or nail strike.