Aquaponics Discussion

Hey Martin,

I went ahead and installed a new timer so the lights in the tank should only be on from 7am to 7pm.that should help reduce stress on the fish and help reduce the algae.

I’m a bit of a novice honestly just trying to figure this out as I go.

Main thing atm is finding some new plants to add to the system to help reduce the nutrient load in the system. (A sign from the algae bloom atm)

@Tookys I think cutting the light back will help a lot with the Algae, if you wanted to cut the algae back even more you could build in a siesta for the fish in the middle of the day (turn lights off during the brightest part of the day (say noon to 4pm)? 12 hours of light for fish is actually a lot, since there are no plants in the aquarium with the fish I would cut it back to 8 hours and the algae should start to go away. If not I have some other ideas but lets only tweak one thing at a time. I can adjust the timer next time I go in if you tell me where it is and how to change it. Thanks for acting on that so quickly.

1 Like

its a simple mechanical timer under the table to the right of the fish tank.

Toggle the paddles for the desired time. down for on, up for off.

Just make sure to update here any changes you make so we are all on the same page of whats happening.

1 Like

So, I think the system is in a stable state. There were people asking a month of or so ago about wanting to setup a class to teach people about the system and how to do the maintenance.

If i were to hold a class, what things would people want me to cover? what questions do y’all have? what things would you like to see the system have in the future?

Would yall prefer for this to be a live stream on youtube? or a zoom call? or just make a video?

Media Option
  • Youtube Live Stream
  • Zoom Chat
  • Youtube Video

0 voters

I was thinking around noon on saturday the 23 of this month? (itd be a couple days passed the systems 2 year anniversary.)

Does 12 PM on the 23rd work?
  • Yes
  • No

0 voters

@valerie

I have seeds for the grow bed. Do you seed directly into the bed or start them outside and transplant? I have an indoor grow station at home I can get them started with if you want.

Either way is fine, typically you want to start them growing so that have about a 1" tap root before moving them into the system.

I usually use a damp paper towel inside a inflated ziploc bag to start them. Any method is fine as long as all soil is removed from it before being transplanted into the bed.

Sounds good and doesn’t conflict with any other scheduled Zooms. Do you want me to go ahead and schedule it?

Sure, sounds good to me.

So, I’m looking at options for new plants or potential improvements for the setup if there are any ideas.

One thing I’m thinking about is adding some individual plant pots tied into the system over the fish tank. To house some orchids and bonsai tree’s.

Arranged in the same concept as this water fountain. ->

Already ordered some orchid and bobsaid trees hehe

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08LGFRMKL/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_slF.Fb59MN3XE

Neon event is here. Be sure to register to get the Zoom link!

1 Like

Thanks for setting that up Valerie.

I havent gotten much feedback on what people would like me to cover / review about the system during the meeting.

Let me know so I can figure out a plan for how I want it to go.

@Tookys I signed up, I am happy to just discuss the system in general with you, if you don’t have anything planned at the moment.

That’s cool with me. So far I havent gotten any requests for anything specific to cover.

@Tookys I am in the zoom meeting

Technical Difficulties folks, were trying to get the meeting started.

@Tookys let me know if you want me to start a new one, I have a pro zoom account

Kye is calling Val, ill let ya know in a minute if we just wanna start a new one

Sounds good, let me know

meeting has started sorry about the delay

Thank you to everybody who joined the meeting today, it was appreciated and I hope y’all enjoyed it.

Sorry for the technical difficulties that delayed the start of the meeting but things went smoothly once it was started.

If there are any questions anybody has feel free to ask them here or email me.