4th axis rotary

The CNC Is 5x8 — would a 4th axis be less in-the-way if we mounted it the long way, like this?

Also, might we be able to use that idea of mounting the axis in a gutter below the spoilboard to mitigate some of the clearance concern Danny raised earlier?

I know part of the design objective was to be able to cut both 4x8 and 5x5 sheets. The CNC is setup to be able to travel past the end of the spoil board. Maybe we can put the 5th axis at the 8.5’x5’ location, pointed towards the 8.5’-0’ location. Then if we could remove the tail stock, that’d leave the the first 4 feet free for extra long materials.

The plan is for the 4th axis to be modular, plug and play. It will be installed when in use, like a jig, and removed later. We will likely want to store it in the secure cabinet like the Shaper and Domino to ensure that those who are trained in how to use it have access. @danny correct me if I’m wrong on any of this.

1 Like

Right. The CNC has a really high vertical clearance, so it should be pretty capable for most projects to just mount it on the spoilboard. I do think there’s value in creating the mounting rail on the side so it can accommodate a larger diameter before bottoming out.

The short bit of space past the spoilboard in the far X is not traversable, it’s rail area needed for the bracing for the gantry.

If we were to look at what could be done, that would be a case for a removable section of spoilboard. But I don’t know how long or wide it would need to be. The spoilboard will always lose some precision when unbolted and remounted, but it might be unnoticeable. I would say the case would be strongest to run it down the Y axis (5ft) and the last section between the supports could be removable. This does also significantly complicate spoilboard replacement, but not unmanageably.

The X has a bunch of supports and you’d run into them if you wanted to mount it super low to handle a very large object. If you don’t have such a large object, then it is not a big difference whether you mount on the frame or the spoilboard, the spoil is only compromising like 1.75" of travel. So, probably not there.

1 Like

We can always create more infrastructure down the road to accommodate different projects. I know I’ll mostly only be turning 2x10 inch stock so don’t need a ton of space.

If anyone following is interested in cnc lathe type projects please comment with your ideas so we can plan ahead on what accommodations we should start off with.

2 Likes

@dannym FYI, I bought the pieces to make the fixturing jig and have sent @Tanner the info on putting it together. All the pieces should arrive next week, so we should be able to start testing the 4th axis in the next couple weeks!

2 Likes

Is the jig going to be removeable? Just in place when you’re using it?

@zackg yes.

Hey @dannym I have the 4th axis jig ready to test whenever you’re available.

2 Likes

Sorry I haven’t forgotten you. I do need the 4th axis jig on hand to set up. Among other things, I need to build a cable and add the code to LinuxCNC. I wrote out what should work but I don’t entirely expect it to work on the first try, and it can take some time to debug and need to go home, review schematics and revisit and come back another day. So definitely need it available. I can’t do that much testing without having it on hand to see it turn.

OK I physically installed the drive and added lines to the HAL for a rotary, saw a minor bug.

I need the physical jig back to make it turn and get the current and steps per rot correct.

I’ll bring the jig to the shop and leave it upstairs for you in Molly’s storage area.

@dannym We’re just about ready to test out the 4th axis! The jig is done and we have hangar bolts arriving tomorrow. I’d love to be able to come help out for the test. Would you be availabe on Saturday afternoon 4/9 to run a first test of the 4th axis? I can have my husband babysit that day.

@Tanner would we be able to have about 10 pieces of wood prepped for testing, and are you also available saturday afternoon?

1 Like

@Mollie I’m new and taking the CNC class at 4 PM on Sat 4/9-10 and wondered if I could come over at 2:30 PM and watch your tests of the 4th Axis? @bwatt

I’m available Saturday afternoon, no problem.

@dannym let me know when a good day/time is for you to try out the 4th axis. We’ve got some wood stock and vcarve files ready.

The upgrade had to get rolled in with moving to a new setup- new fanless NUC box, Linux distro, LinuxCNC upped to 2.8.2
The rotary’s turning, but the spindle isn’t turning yet with the new box. Prob with the serial port configuration, I’m figuring it out.
The existing Dell setup is unchanged, the new box is something I just swap cables over to.

1 Like

Ok, thanks so much for working on this! Let me know if there’s anything I can do to help. We’re very excited to get this up and running :slight_smile:

If and when there’s a demo I’d love to stop by and watch it work.

We’ll def do a demo when it’s up and running! There will eventually be a class available for folks to learn how to use the 4th axis.

2 Likes