Woodshop planer broke(resolved but keep an eye on)

I was using the planer for an end grain cutting board. After sending it through a couple passes, the board got stuck and the motor switched off. Now the planer won’t turn on.

I put a defective sticker on it. Also found a nut on the bed of the planer, perhaps that has something to do with it, really not sure though.

I’m really sorry! Hope this isn’t a huge ordeal to fix.

You probably just tripped thermal protection on the motor - that resets itself in 10s of minutes. How long did you wait before stickering it?

I stickered it after about 10 mins. Tried it an hour after my board got stuck and still no luck at that point :frowning:

I was up there yesterday and had to do 2 quick passes on the planer for my CNC job. At the time I didn’t think too much of it but on the first pass I also struggled to get my board to feed through (especially in the middle) as well. Came out with yellow streaking on it which seemed strange but I figured that was from someone else’s surfacing. Second pass seemed to pass through just fine and yellow streaking was gone so I thought it was possible user error. But now that you mentioned it getting completely stuck I’m thinking something might be wrong (feeder issue?) not sure how to trouble shoot and help fix but I’d be glad to help in whatever way needed.

I wonder if someone made adjustments to the planer that caused some issues with the blades or auto feeder (adjusting cutting while running, adjusting blades incorrectly etc)

Just to be thorough, while not there. Did anyone check the breaker?

Anyone there today already check to see if it’s working or troubleshoot it?

Took a look, looks like it’s working fine

2 Likes

I thought the general woodworking consensus was to never run end-grain through a planer due to the risk of catastrophic failure? The concern being that the knives can catch on the end grain causing the board to split in two along the grain (not an issue when working with the grain), potentially breaking the knives and/or planer and potentially launching out the broken-off bits.

1 Like

Good to know! I will avoid using the planer on end grain in the future. Also glad to hear that it is working.

I would assume the drum sander would be much more ideal for EG cutting boards so hopefully we can get it operational soon!

It would also be fairly simple to build a jig and use a router with a fly cutter bit. There is a new DeWalt corded router in the shop that would be more than capable.

ive been interested in that!

1 Like

Or use the CNC. But setting that up may be time consuming if not your thing

Using the CNC router with a surfacing bit can flatten out an end grain cutting board. He is recommending that as an alternative to the planer in the video there. The drum sander will make slow progress at flattening- it’s best to do the bulk on the CNC and finish with the fine sanding on the drum sander.

There is a router sled sitting above the large sheet storage. I’ve never used it, so I’m not sure which router is was built for, but may save some time in making the jig.

2 Likes

CNC or router. Both can work. It’s just a matter of what you’re more comfortable with, or are able to use. Thanks @jamesfreeman for pointing out the sled. I’ll check it out this weekend. I have a cross grain slice of pecan I need to flatten part of before carving.