(Usable) Scrap at home I want to get rid of... can I bring it here?

Hey all!

I’m a new member here. Part of why I joined the makerspace was I was running out of space for tools at home (a condo unit). As part of this problem, I also have a lot of usable scrap wood for projects that I’ve hoarded, not wanting to send it to the dumpster (since its perfectly usable) but also realizing I’m reaching limits at home of what I can reasonably store.

I was wondering if I can bring my usable pieces to the makerspace scrap holding areas for community use. Almost all of it is rectangular, just spare cutoffs from other projects, no glues or hardware holes in them, stored indoors and free of gross residues. I believe during orientation, I was introduced to what is considered “useful scrap” worth storing (larger pieces of cheap softwoods, smaller pieces of expensive woods).

1 Like

Thanks for asking in advance! It would be helpful first to know sizes and materials.

1 Like

Good range of size. Beams would be at least 1x2x12in to 4x4x48in, ranging from MDF to pine to oak.

panels from at least 8x12in to 18x48in, various thicknesses. Pegboard, pine plywood, oak or birch plywood, and MDF.

Won’t be contributing anything that is pretty clearly trash (ridiculously thin cutoffs, cracked/severely-warped/dirty/split boards, stuff I used as drilling fodder)

3 Likes

Sounds like reasonable sizes and great scrap. Would love the contributions to the scrap carts! Thanks again for also checking to make sure :blush:

1 Like