Tarkin bed dimensions

Hi everyone.

I’m a new member and recently took the big laser class with Bryan, awesomeness.

I’m setting up lightburn software and it’s asking for the X/Y dimensions of the bed. Can someone send those out? I’ve been looking through past posts and have t been able to find ‘em.

Thank. Kevin

Is there an entry for “soccer field” size? :joy:
If not then here’s your answer: 1.6M x 1.0 M (63"x39")
You can learn this and much more on Danny’s wiki page.

The link to this page should be on the back of your Tarkin Workflow document.

I did recently move the homing sensors and adjust the limits. Currently 1640x1000. The actual honeycomb isn’t that wide and I wouldn’t recommend placing material or cutting outside they honeycomb. The margin is primarily needed to be “extend space”, the margin used for braking and accelerating back the other way outside each raster line. Cutting doesn’t actually occur in extend space

I would like to just put Tarkin’s machine setup file and settings library on the wiki, but I’m not sure how

Also I wrote up a guide to setting up LB on your machine Tarkin - Asmbly Wiki

1 Like

You can manage arbitrary file attachments the same basic way as images; the syntax is just a little different if the attachment doesn’t display on the page (like an image or video does)

https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Help:Linking_to_files

(Check how the PDF manual is linked on the Shark HD3 CNC - Asmbly Wiki page for an example)

EDIT: I forgot there’s a list of allowed file extensions in the wiki config space. Let me know if you need one added.

So, does that mean we should consider setting up Lightburn with the actual honeycomb dimensions? While I imagine truly full-bed jobs will be rare, having the on-screen grid match the real effective constraints is appealing.

By sheer coincidence, I’m considering a job right now that would involve engraving on the face of a ~1500x800mm sheet of plywood. So getting close. :cowboy_hat_face:

Lb at the pc is now set up with the same max physical travel possible on the machine

@J-LoM, if you engrave anywhere near the extends of 1,500 then be aware you may trigger an error. In order to engrave at a constant speed the laser needs an overscan area on either side of the etch to slow, reverse direction, and ramp up to speed again. That overscan area may extend beyond the range of the cutting area.

If this occurs then try a slower etching speed at lower power.
A slower moving head takes less distance to turn around.
The etch will take longer but at least it’ll be possible.

1 Like

The amount of extend space needed depends on rastering speed. At 350mm/sec, it’s neglibible.
At the 1500mm/s max, it needs about 100mm (4") on each side.

At least at current settings. I did play with accelerations and got the 1500mm/s extend space down from 100mm to about 25mm if I recall. In the end I restored the prior settings- it was during the Christmas-stuff-making rush and didn’t want to risk an unknown prob as it was also not a thing anyone had been asking for.

I don’t know of anything it would break, and will look further soon.

1 Like

.lbdev is the extension for a Lightburn machine config file. This will contain machine bed size, max speeds, etc.

.clb is a LB cut setting library.

Internally, both are just XML format

@dannym On the Wiki page you mention that an installation of Lightburn can be optimized by downloading the Tarkin machine profile and the Lightburn Material Database for Tarkin’s material settings. Are these files ready for prime time yet?

I can upload them once the Wiki allows it.

However, easiest thing is when it prompts you for a machine profile, just say “Ruida”, name it Tarkin, and give it a 1640 mm x 1000 mm bed size. The rest of the questions like ethernet setup are not relevant to using LB as design software and you can just click through it.

The only thing missing is there are machine parameters needed for the Preview window to estimate runtime. IIRC that was accurate initially, but I got better performance by tweaking some fields that LB doesn’t know how the math works on so now there’s some deviation in the estimate, but it will still give you the scale of your job.

That is, if you just enter 1640x1000 to create your own file, the Preview isn’t of much use. The Tarkin.lbdev file (once I can post it) will yield meaningful estimates even if not completely accurate. The Tarkin.lbdev file will be updated when machine parameters are tweaked- for example, increasing the X acceleration for rasters seems ok to for the machine to do, that will reduce the extend space and speed up the job. But not having the latest file would just mean the Preview would give a longer time estimate than it actually needs, it won’t break anything or send different “slower” data to the Ruida.

The .clb file is the cut settings library for known materials. They’re available at the Tarkin machine and you can set the layers to them when you get to the makerspace, but if you have this on your own machine, you can save time by already having them assigned and also they’re obviously necessary to do time estimates at home since it contains the cut speeds.

The cut settings “.clb” library is also a living document of course. The numbers in there are typically conservative- you could probably go faster. So far I have rarely changed prior numbers, mostly just adding new ones.

Added those extensions to our configuration. give it a whirl.

1 Like

Tagging @Felipeg101 as have s one of those “rare” users and needs the full bed for his projects.

1 Like

@Jon No joy. On the wiki I used “Insert->Images and Media->Upload” and get “The Filename Is Not Allowed”.

curious. I’ll poke at it tonight.

This is the most exciting news of the year!!!

I finally remembered to follow up on this. I found the synax error in the wiki settings; should work now