(Resolved) Finding a security head driver (I think that’s what it’s called)

Hey y’all. The button to open my microwave broke, so I had to take it apart. In doing so, I had to loosen some (what I believe are called) security screws. I managed to extract them, but once I fix the internal part, I’ll need to put it back together. Does anyone have drivers that would be suitable, that I might borrow? I’m attaching a few pics. It’s 6 sided with a center pin.

I have an iFixIt kit with TR10, 15, 20, and 25. Might work. Replacing the screws with same size but different drive might be an option too. You did the hard part (getting them out).

You’re right that they’re security screws, but that’s a broad category.

Looks like they’re security Torx? I have one of those crappy zillion-piece harbor freight bit sets that has those. I can bring it by the space tomorrow.

I think this might be the set I have https://www.harborfreight.com/security-bit-set-with-case-100-pc-68457.html

@Jon i would appreciate borrowing your set. I can meet you at the shop anytime before 12:30, or then anytime after 3:30.

Ultimately, the internal piece that broke might be one of those dumb bits of plastic that makes the whole unit unrepairable, and this might all be for nothing. But gotta try, right?

I’m not sure when exactly I’ll be by; it depends on when the new miter saw gets delivered. I’ll let you know when I know.

1 Like

@stepho You probably saw that the miter saw was delayed, but I’ll still swing by the space today and leave the bit set in the electronics lab for you

Thanks @Jon

I repaired the tiny plastic bit with (hopefully enough) epoxy. Thanks to everyone for their pointers, and to @Jon for tool lending for reassembly.

But let’s all take a moment to ask for all the little plastic bits that are so ubiquitous in our built world to hold strong, and never give us cause to curse them. :rofl:

1 Like