(Resolved) Big CNC down

I’ve sent a red tag report. Looks like the X cable guide went askew, pulling the Y cable guide partially off and pulling wires loose. It was like this when I arrived.

I will note that the machine’s “urgency sensor” is working fine. :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

Did the drag chain pull the wires out?

Did it actually pull any wires out. Some of those wores werent connected to begin with.

I couldn’t get it to power up — no red light on the spindle, leading to LinuxCNC crashing on startup.

Is the power strip turned on? The beige one

Yes. I had green lights on the box under the table.

Send a pic please

I did with the red tag report. Repeating here.

Note how the Y cable guide support was yanked an inch off the bracket at the end.

That seems fine. I’m not saying it is correct long term. The drag chain and tray need to be addressed

Can you take a pic of the control box (drivers)?

I’m not there anymore (cf. my flippant comment about the urgency sensor).

If that prominently loose green wire really isn’t supposed to be attached to anything, I would strongly suggest that it be capped or labeled to indicate that.

There was also an unconnected cable bundle in the I-beam of the spindle mount, behind the dust collection hose. But it is a clean cut bundle with no exposed conductors, and it was tucked away behind everything, and I saw no obvious connection point for it. I assumed it was part of some planned expansion (e.g., 4th axis). Again, it would be wise to label it if so.

I will be in tonight and fix this. I’ll redo it with wire ferrules and spring lever splices.

We can clean up the yz junction at the same time, it’s missing some screws. just needs a locknut or locktite on that.

I noted a central prob that someone added links on the drag chain and pulled the wires drum-tight in the process. Some more wire needs to be fed through.

I did add an internal guide to the drag chain last week so it doesn’t fall off the rail, and that’s been doing great

BTW 4th axis is available if people want to try it

1 Like

The rj45 cable was pulled out of the nuc computer. It’s a small box just currently placed on top of the old computer and it fell a bit.

The cat5 cable needs to be replaced the plug’s lock is broken off

OK, so did you replace it?

Nope, need a cable of the right length and it needs to be ziptied in

8ft should do it

there’s a crate of cat5 cables in the old laser closet. If none of them are appropriate I can cut one to length

Part made. Thank you!