Potential New Member Questions

Hello! I will be moving to Austin this summer, and had a few questions about your makerspace. I am actually a member of the Dallas Makerspace, so I am familiar with how makerspaces typically work.

1. Is there a student discount on the membership fee? The ‘purchase an asmbly membership’ link on the ‘how to join’ page is broken, as is your video tour link so I couldn’t check
  2. How hard is it to get signed off on the wood lathe, and is there pen turning equipment? That is the primary reason I am joining, I am an avid woodturner currently into pen making, but I make bowls and stuff too. I know at the Dallas Makerspace there are a lot of problems where new members can’t get signed off on a tool quickly because no one ever teaches the class
  3. Are there any plans to add ceramics to your makerspace?

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thank you!

Hey Nadia!

Welcome! I’ll let others address 1 and 3, but I can help with the lathe question. I have been teaching the lathe class to help beginners get started using the lathe. And for folks with a bit more experience on lathes I have been setting up sessions to sign off and make sure they’re completely comfortable with our setup. Would be happy to do that for you once you’ve made it to Austin, so give me a shout and we can set that up.

Scott

2 Likes