Pearl vector mystery :mario_question:

I was attempting to make some wood stickers for labeling some Woodturning stuff yesterday and for some reason Pearl continually refused to cut my vector lines. Quadruple checked everything – stroke unit set to inches, stroke at 0.001", file RGB, checked colors, tried every color channel, tried RAST/VECT to verify the machine was reading the color properly (it was), vector settings in advanced ULS settings set to enhance and sort (also tried the others as well), turned the machine off/on, unplugged/replugged USB. Had one random newly created line with the exact same properties cut, but couldn’t create a new rectangle with the same properties and get that to cut. @dannym was around and checked all this with me. We could not figure out this mystery.

If you have any issues with vector operations on Pearl, please post here and share your experience/observations!

1 Like

Good thing to note, this was document-specific. Made a new project, put in a red vector, same color and width, and it vectored fine. But, unable to make the original project vector

Could you maybe try ctrl-c the content and ctrl-v paste it into a new project?

1 Like

That is incorrect, it was not document specific @dannym. I made new vector lines on the same new document as the one the random line worked on and no other vectors would cut. I also copied and pasted vectors from the original document and those did not cut either. I ended up with 3 documents during testing – the original document, a new document with original copy pasted elements, and another new document with newly created vectors. None of them worked consistently regardless of whether objects were newly created (worked one time for one single object but not other new objects with the exact same properties) and never worked for objects from the original document (raster objects worked fine though).

Right, but I definitely saw that making a new doc with a single red vector correctly did a vector cut. So something has to be different about the Illustrator project settings or the vector content in your work. The first obvious thing would be the vectors being too thick. Which of course we checked but Illustrator said that was not the case in the Line properties.

Correct me if I’m wrong, but your vectors ended up rastering when the layer was set to allow rastering, right? That can only mean it sees the lines as too thick to categorize as vector. But again, we checked that. Could it be that the project had some sort of obscure scaling factor set that widened the lines?

I think you are forgetting and not reading my comments above that I created other brand new vector objects in that same new document that did successfully cut and none of those cut either. We did have it successfully cut when we used the rast/vect setting for the color channel which is how we confirmed that the color sent to the laser was being read properly, however it did not vector despite being literally the exact same properties as the other test line that did cut and in the exact same document as that file. Both new documents and old documents demonstrated the issue with copied and new vector lines.