New Drill Press Is Online

Hey metal folks,

the new Grizzly metal drill press is online for use, with notes. It’s a 6-speed 2hp gearhead model with a coolant pump.

• The head and table are square according to factory markings. They should be properly trammed before any serious precision work (sorry I didn’t have time to do it today)
  • workholding is just an old drill press vise. we can probably do better (suggestions welcome!)
  • The coolant system isn’t filled yet. I have a more convenient switch I’m going to put on when we get that shaken down.

If you’ve never used a gearhead drill press before, just be aware that you should only change speeds with the spindle completely stopped. If the knob doesn’t want to go into the gear you want, turn the spindle a little bit and the gears should mesh nicely. If the motor’s on and the spindle isn’t turning, you’ve got one of the selectors between gears.

https://wiki.asmbly.org/index.php/Grizzly_G0779_Gearhead_Drill_Press

5 Likes

Would be good if someone could print/laminate this speed chart and place it on the side of the machine.
I can get to it next week if someone can’t do it before then

4 Likes

agreed - I was just looking for printable tables last night :slight_smile:

Ideally we should split it into two sheets - softwood/hardwood/plastic by the powermatic and plastic/brass/al/steel by the grizzly

We also have this vise
Might be better?

1 Like

Yes, looks like an upgrade to me… Do we think it’d encourage people to try milling with the drill press?

It has a draw bar. Now we need a dedicated wrench holder for the drawbar

And done.

2 Likes

Do we need any specific training before using this?