Need Opinions on Class Idea - Audio Speakers Bluetooth and non-powered

In looking at some ideas for new classes there have been several suggestions for project based classes and one of the ideas is audio speakers. Without falling down the audio rabbit hole (been there and it is not pretty) we can classify the project into two areas - powered as having an on board amplifier with various features and non-powered that need an amplifier. Cost of parts is a major factor with two personal examples: (1) 2.1 speaker box that produces up to 50 watts each through the left and right channels with a double ported sub-woofer running another 50 watts, signal sources from AUX, Wifi, and BT contained in one box and (2) 2-way monitors with a fairly flat response from 100Hz to 18kHZ driven by an external amplifier. In both speakers the cabinet cost is very low using MDF or plywood for the case. Option 1 (2.1 speaker) has costs of $140 for the three drivers, $220 for the amplifier board, and $40 for miscellaneous parts. Option 2 (non-powered) needs four drivers (two per channel) at $130 plus parts for the two crossover networks coming in around $50 for the set. If we offered this as a class it would need about three sessions with the first session held as a Zoom meeting to go over the parts and options then a building session followed by an installation of parts session.

My question to the group is if we offer the class will there be any takers due to the cost? If we do a group purchase some costs might be lower. I can look at a lower cost powered option as well but the one I built sounds so good.

Any thoughts or suggestions are very welcome and I could even offer this as an informal class if there is low interest.

2 Likes

I’m interested in the BOM to compare it against CSS Audio partwise because I’m considering their 1TD-X kit for $1174, which some people have said is better than Sonus Faber Electa Amator III and those are $10k a pair.

Definitely interested! I’d maybe even spring for some nicer materials making the cabinet me personally…

I suggest having an inexpensive baseline. Students that want to upgrade can purchase components and/or materials separately.

2 Likes