Milling advice needed for reclaimed wood

I picked up these boards that are all around 3/4"x10-12"x54", I think it’s cedar but I don’t know wood.

I would like to make a floating mantle out of them by making a mitered box measuring roughly 5"x46"x6". Ideally using one of the burl looking pieces as the face.

Before I try running these through the jointer and planer I would like to solicit some advice. Is this a project that’s likely to succeed or a fools errand?

The two pieces I want to use the most are the knotty/burl looking pieces, they have a bit more of a bow to them and their flip side is very rough:

I thought they were all the same species but in different light I’m not sure:

2 Likes

3/4" thickness isnt much, especially with reclaimed pieces warped as much as some of those. I think the only chance of success you may have would be to make the mantle out of plywood and essentially use those as veneer/decorative facing. You may have to make some rips/crosscuts before you mill it in order to maximize yield. For example, if you try to joint/plane this piece as is, you’re gonna end up with a bunch of sawdust and a little stick leftover because that left edge is more warped than the rest :joy:

If you ripped it here, you’d probably have better results.

4 Likes

Tacking them onto a 3/4" plywood box is definitely on the table.

I’ll see how much bow I can remove by trimming them to size.

2 Likes